AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Postby Valduran » Tue Jun 30, 2015 7:01 am

Cool! I'm definitely interested in having a look. (sent permission request for the spreadsheet) Tedium doesn't scare me!

A bell curve for progression sounds pretty ideal if it's weighted slightly more towards the 10*-12* side. Honestly it's fine if C and early B stuff is passed by pretty quickly; one wouldn't really expect to spend too much time with weapons that are genuinely "noob-tier". The key is just making sure that the tiers which do have an extensive selection actually have the potential for getting the treasure-hunting attention that they deserve during the phase at which the player is most likely to find them desirable.
(Speaking for myself alone, I'd like to feel the need to start hunting for specific weapons as early as 6* or 7*, but whether or not that will be feasible remains to be seen.)

As for rank grinders, I'd say that their use and ease-of-acquisition should be fine-tuned for scenarios where a specific weapon is seen as strategically or aesthetically desirable for use at higher levels. Making them a legitimately viable option for "general upgrades" would obviously be counter-productive to the thrill of loot hunting... But as long as each weapon still retains its unique qualities and stats after being ranked up, I think that alone will guarantee that rank grinders will always be considered a highly valuable and integral mechanic regardless of how rare they are. (i.e. I'd be much more worried about making them the obvious solution for everything than I would be worried about making them too much of a gimmick).

Agrajag wrote:Thanks! Do note, though, EspioKaos does a lot of the heavy lifting on the main patch right now. It wouldn't be anywhere near what it is without him, even if we are losing a bit of ground at the moment.
Hats off to EspioKaos as well then, wherever he may be. :)
Valduran

Postby Agrajag » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:54 am

Whoops, meant to have that file publicly editable, should be now.
Agrajag

Postby Valduran » Wed Jul 01, 2015 1:16 am

Ah, okay, I more or less see what would be involved here. Feel free to give me the rundown whenever you have time. At the very least I can help with the first wave of just getting "something" in place for every item, but with the way you have things already in place it seems like there isn't a whole lot of room to screw things up anyway hehe.
Valduran

Postby HyperCombo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:25 pm

I'm a bit new to this forum and I've tried following everyone's replies and some happen to have the same problem as me with the Modified.exe files, when I go to download one, _suIlliminus_typelist.exe never lets me put it into the folder of PSU. I keep getting denied of transferring it and because I need admin rights from my own PC. I'm just a little stuck and need some help.
HyperCombo

Postby Molten » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:03 pm

extract it to your desktop, then drag and drop, itll ask for permission then, give it and should be ok
if not how ever
go to your psu folder, right click it, properties , security, then hit edit and just give all the permissions you can
Molten

Postby FROBOT » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:42 pm

not sure if i am doing this right :)
but im loading up the story mode and playing normally. my room is still offline style... i dont have a shared bank....
do we have the item codes or am i missing an update to get all the coolio japanese items or is this all to come later?
if not im happy just playing as is :)
FROBOT

Postby Agrajag » Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:59 am

All of that is varying degrees of "not available yet", sorry.
Agrajag

Postby mry » Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:57 am

hi there sorry to ask.....but how's the progress doing .....no one said something for a while ..so i'm just curious :)
mry

Postby Agrajag » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:09 am

It's no problem, I know I've been neglecting the whole "tell people what's going on" thing (sorry!).

I don't really keep logs of everything I do, which makes this a bit difficult, but from memory:
Wrote an extractor for files from Phantasy Star Zero (if anyone's interested, let me know--it looks like the things in them tend to be either really simple or standard DS file formats, but it's still a rather esoteric subject) (also: it'd probably be easy to restore the JP-only items, but I haven't tried--again, if anyone's interested, let me know, I can take a look). Didn't really find any surprises
Wrote a snazzy new counter editor... that's only really useful if you have a server (I'll be adding support for offline counters when I get the chance, it'll be released whenever I release my other tools).

Changed how to create new weapon stats. I've realized that people really aren't good at just raw multipliers (for instance: if a weapon that has 20% more ATP, 5% less ATA, and 10% more PP than the standard for its level, how much higher or lower should its stat requirement be? I have no idea), so I swapped to an overall + relative ranking thing.
In other words, a weapon has an overall rating (1-5), then each stat has its own rating (1-5).
Overall applies straight across the board--a "1" here is a kubara copy (so it's pretty much halved all stats including requirement), a "5" is Psycho Wand (something like 40% higher all stats including requirement).
Relative ratings are a bit more complicated. If all ratings are equal, the weapon's going to have exactly what the overall would suggest (so something somewhere between the three manufacturers--GRM's variance/ATA focused, yohmei's PP focused, tenora's max ATP focused). If they're not equal, each stat is going to be weighted based on its number versus the average (higher rating = better, so a 5 on ATP is more ATP than a 1 on ATP, but a 5 on requirement is a lower requirement than a 1 on requirement; the "perfect" weapon has maximum ATP, unlimited PP, and can be equipped by anyone at level 1, so raising the relative ranking on a given stat is bringing that more in line with perfection).
In other words (I'll reduce it to 4 stats for demonstration purposes):
We'll say a 9* saber is going to have 800 ATP, 400 ATA, 300 PP, and requires 500 ATP to equip.
If you swap it to an "overall" rating of 4, it'll be 1.2x on each stat-- 960 ATP, 480 ATA, 360 PP, requires 600 ATP to equip.
If you then set it to 3 ATP, 4 ATA, 3 PP, 3 requirement, it'll end up at
960 * (1 + (3 (ATP) - 3.25 (average stat)) / 5 = 912 ATP,
480 * (1 + (4 (ATA) - 3.25 (average)) / 5 = 552 ATA,
360 * (1 + (3 (PP) - 3.25 (average)) / 5 = 342 PP
600 * (1 + (3.25 (average) - 3 (req)) / 5 = 630 required ATP

Much simpler to deal with, causes the "how much should the weapon require?" problem to somewhat fall out (as you increase the stats, the requirement stat gets worse in comparison, which makes it higher...).

I'm aiming to have a mission pack out this weekend. Something involving those ice missions from v1 offline.
Agrajag

Postby syicrone » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:12 pm

I've been following the progress on this project for a while now, and I'm really excited with what you're doing. I actually picked the game up rather late, (just two years ago in fact) and I've been itching to finish up where the offline mode left off. I was curious as to what your plans were as far as releases go. Do you plan to just release it all in one patch upon completion; or will you potentially release the story missions then everything else?

It looks like you've definitely made a lot of progress, and I'm looking forward to future updates. Your work is greatly appreciated!
syicrone

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding