Texmod textures

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Texmod textures

Postby Dreken » Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:38 pm

Hi im new here just wanted to show off what im doing for PSU on texmod.

If anyone is interested in this ill continue this project and supply links but for now ill just post some screens because its really not that exciting yet. have to work out a lot of seam lines and whatnot but ill get it down.

I also am not going 100% realistic as i am trying to bring the colorful feel and the photon energy colors into all areas of the game. so things are looking kinda rainbow in some places its because i like it

On a side note i would like to pickup on erlang but i have the program and reading the book nothing makes sense i cant get anything to "start"?

http://bayimg.com/lAodjAaFj
Dreken

Re: Texmod textures

Postby Chikinface » Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:50 am

Basically aiming to make an HD texture pack?
Chikinface

Postby Essa » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:16 am

How do you use texmod to texture hack the game?
Essa

Postby Dreken » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 am

Raujinn wrote:Basically aiming to make an HD texture pack?

yes i have worked on skyrim stuff but that game is simply boring, the problem with texmod is that the package builder takes a long time with high res so i have to keep it somewhat low otherwise i can barely load the package. i tried a large 4k texture pack with a story about my uncle i waited 15 minutes with only 8 4096x4096 textures. so if theres a way to decompress the game or mod files it would be great help for me. but the moatoob general city was not all the way complete and in no way seamless but neither are the meshes. in my opinion though, the rocks look better high res to me. i added a rustic look to everything but i didnt snap many pictures because well then id have to make a texture pack for every run and zone and every nook and cranny and i would much rather extract the game if possible is there a tutorial for that?
Dreken

Postby Dreken » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:08 am

Essa wrote:How do you use texmod to texture hack the game?

im using the latest version of texmod its free. the new version is more complicated in terms of mass editing but for the average user its pretty good.

you use "logging mode" tab to log the textures this is were we start.

Creating a Texmod Pack
1. target your phantasy star universe offline or online exe. depending on which one you are trying to mod (im doing offline mode and i cant connect to essens server so for now offline is the only thing i can confirm)

2. once targeted it will be targeted for all tabs.

3. now in "logging mode" options the default is enter to save the texture you might want to change this before you go ahead and click run because enter is a common key in psu.

4. click run

5. now when you hit the + or - keys you will cycle textures +will end you up with the first loaded items so usually menus essential characters menu pictures and other sorts of icons and misc. textures. hitting - will take you to the things you last loaded. like when you finally enter game.

the guardians colony has around 600 textures or more at least. so its not an easy task ill tell u that. the benefit of texmod is that you can do pieces so that you can download and merge peoples texture packs (would test it out dont rely on it or blame me for crashing this is all experimental)

6. when you are done logging just exit the game and go to your specified output directory

7. in there will be the textures in whatever save format you chose (default .bmp)

8. as far as i know there are no texture limits but 4096x4096pixels lagged for a while. go make a snack laggy. so id stick to about 2048x2048pixels because there are a lot of textures in psu.

9. once texture editing is done with whatever tool image replacer whatever you chose is put back in you go back into texmod and open the package build tab.

10. once inside the packae build tab you are going to take the log file generated by your psu extract. it should be there automatically or you have to find it.. that part i had some issue with aswell.

11. once you build the package wait for it to end. it will ask you to save it. when building a large texture pack over 200mb it can take a long time (like i said go grab a snack... i did) come back.... "is it crashed wth it says not responding" DONT TOUCH IT! let it go through. dont play another game either it bugs out. i played a league of legends map and came back and the logger lost its mind and logged 17000 textures and wouldnt load the pack i had to rebuild.

12. once you save it remember where you put it because you are going to load it right away in the tab called package mode. load it in the left pannel and once its there run game and it should be customized

13. i was just trying to download what you have already made.... well i havent refined or finnished a single city or anything so it would be embarrasing to release a half done pack so if this generates enough buzz ill continue work but for now ill just enjoy the game and keep an eye out for places i want to redo and what i plan to do with it to keep the phantasy star feel aswell as update the look. ive been doing a lot of smoothing to jagged edges. not very noticeable but some textures are just plain bad and i clean them up with blur. the rocks though ill rough them up and make them photo realistic
Dreken

Postby Dreken » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 am

this is my first tutorial keep that in mind :)
Dreken

Postby Dreken » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:18 am

might require no game guard exe and texmod and all psu exe's have to be run as adminsitrator otherwise texmod will throw u an error. i set it under all users to run as administrators that way if texmod acceses under a different user such as SYSTEM or INSTALLER or something wacky it will always run administrator anyways.

also texmod will not permanently alter your game it just intervenes and overrides what texture is displayed in front of you. if you dont like it just run the game without the texmod package and there u go back to default.
Dreken

Postby Dreken » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:21 am

also while going back into log textures if you try to log the same texture you overwrote it will erase what you have in your output folder and assume you want the stock texture back. it wont take effect until you rebuild the package but it will be gone then so be careful still. losing a texture to logging is not fun especially if u put hard work into it.
Dreken

Postby Dreken » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:18 am

sorry for my absence I have gone through a bad motherboard and then got a scrap dell from a friend that broke down because the front panel on the xps series are built to die out in 2 years. I then moved to a laptop and now I got a new motherboard replaced by a stroke of luck at FRY'S.

So now I am back and willing to continue the project if anyone cares. ill do it for sure anyways if the server goes live I will probably have to re-do the whole thing for the online exe I don't think they use the same memory regions but who knows. I recently got the game Faery because well its magical and I like that stuff. well anyways it rejected texmod so im looking for a new project to keep me busy
Dreken

Postby Chikinface » Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:07 pm

Well we can replace the textures directly so there'd be no need to worry about memory so much. There is an upper limit as to how big you can make a texture but the details escape me right now. Point is however a simple file-replace texture mod is indeed possible.
Chikinface

Return to PSU Modding