PSO2 English Patch Discussion Thread

I'm sure PSO2 will get a US version some time this century. Meanwhile there is a patch and this is the forum where you can discuss it and get help with issues.

Re: PSO2 English Patch Discussion Thread

Postby Maronji » Wed Mar 19, 2014 1:01 am

The CRCs check out (they're definitely different this time). Will apply the patch in a bit and report back with my findings if anything is amiss.

EDIT: Everything seems to be in order this time. Thank you for sorting that out.
Maronji

Postby Gigafreak » Thu Mar 20, 2014 4:10 pm

Apparently the new CO NPC, Arisu, is named Alis in the translation patch as a reference to Phantasy Star 1?

...The problem is, the protagonist of Phantasy Star 1 was "Arisa." http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/segaages/phantasystar-5.jpg

The NPC in question might be named after planetoid 291, Alice-- following the precedent set by other NPCs such as Echo (60), Astarte (672), Marlu (746), Fourier (10101), Dudu (564) and probably several others.

'Course, there are already a few liberties taken in the translation. This could just be left as one of them, and it wouldn't be a huge deal.
Gigafreak

Postby Qwerty » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:13 pm

She was called "Alis" in the localized version of Phantasy Star I. But, like you said, this was アリサ not アリス.
Also possible: "Alys" from Phantasy Star IV. But, she was actually called ライラ in Japan. Whoops!
Also also possible: "Alice" the planetoid, like you said. You might be right if the NPC is アリス.

Fun fact: The ship you are on on Phantasy Star III (spoilers: you're on a ship in Phantasy Star III) is named "Alisa III" after the protagonist of Phantasy Star I, which might have been shortened in that game because there was a 4-character limit to names.
Qwerty

Postby Gigafreak » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:51 pm

I can't wait for them to reveal that it's actually "Alreethoo" or something ridiculous like that.
Gigafreak

Postby Agrajag » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:52 am

Yeah, we were at a bit of a loss what to do with her. Best guess was "Alice" (she was named after one of the design contest winners, and I seem to remember seeing a few of her works signed "Alice"), but then there were random other new lobby NPCs that shared names with classic-series NPCs (...probably also design contest winners): ケイン (Kain, from PS2), リナ (Lena from PS3--not to be confused with Liina from PSU, who's spelled リィナ), and マーリナ (Marlena from PS3, translated as Maia in the English version).

There was also ナナイ (Nanai), though, and we couldn't make heads or tails of that one.

Qwerty wrote:Fun fact: The ship you are on on Phantasy Star III (spoilers: you're on a ship in Phantasy Star III) is named "Alisa III" after the protagonist of Phantasy Star I, which might have been shortened in that game because there was a 4-character limit to names.

Funny you should mention the Alisa III. There are special versions of the partner character code attack trials listed as being for "Alice" and "Orakio" (Orakio being the one who sealed the Alisa III's resident Dark Falz in PS3's backstory). That's part of what biased it towards "Alis", right or wrong.
Agrajag

Postby Shina » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:54 am

English patch files are lol 404'd. ;/
Shina

Postby EspioKaos » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:21 pm

Give it another go. The files mirror out once per hour, so everything should be there now.
EspioKaos

Postby Gigafreak » Wed Mar 26, 2014 7:55 pm

Alis/ce/a and Orakio having a Code Unite together? Maybe their pre-fight or post-fight banter references the Alisa 3. That might make sense, and then there'd at least be a connection in the JP text.

Orakio... isn't that also the name of all three Ep2 Special Edition costumes? Alis/ce/a is wearing clothes named after this person. Wonder if he'd feel narcissistic wearing clothes named after himself. (Or maybe it's a placeholder name?)
Gigafreak

Postby Agrajag » Thu Mar 27, 2014 12:38 am

I utterly detest those outfits. I'd forgotten they were named that, to be honest. They had individual ones, I'm assuming they're just code: attacks (they're named like the "(enemy type) Assault" trials). We have Alice's partner card and NPC (she's pretty boring), but unfortunately, I don't see anything that seems obviously usable for the Orakio trials.

Sega's been doing weird things, but unfortunately they've gotten better about not letting people datamine out future content (the new weapons from last night's update didn't have icons prior to the update, for instance!), so you end up with junk like
in_common\ii_player_ahl.text, common, 0, IncidentName, "****"
in_common\ii_player_ahl.text, common, 0, TrialBeginMsg, "****"
in_common\ii_player_ahl.text, common, 0, TrialAbstract, "****"
in_common\incident_common.text, common, 0, FCondPlayerAnnihilation, "****"

Which seems to all belong to one emergency trial... with absolutely no details given whatsoever. Could be PvP-related (I mean, there is a Npc_ShipBattle, "対抗戦用NPC" (Tournament NPC)), but it could just as easily be pretty much anything else... and even if it is intended for PvP, there's no guarantee it'll be released within the next 3 years. Never forget that the NPC chatter for when you set them to not fight has been in the client since the CBT, and that renaming skill trees was in the alpha 2 client. Part of why I got out of the "try to predict what's going on" business.
Agrajag

Postby scriptkiddie » Fri Mar 28, 2014 6:14 pm

oreet agra. nice to see your still at it. (just saying hello, keeping my account alive)
scriptkiddie

PreviousNext

Return to PSO2 Patch