There are currently no EGS servers? Could I install it?

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

There are currently no EGS servers? Could I install it?

Postby Hoppimike » Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:06 am

I have a VPS. If there are no EGS servers I would be more than happy to make one.

Are there currently none?

Mike :)
Currently playing Blue Burst on Scht and Ultima.

Come and help me create a great Phantasy Star Universe private server!
Hoppimike

Re: There are currently no EGS servers? Could I install it?

Postby edevore » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:15 am

The EGS "SOCKET" is no where near complete and in fact the team abandoned their EGS project awhile ago so there would be no use running a machine or server to house a non-existent socket at this current time.... maybe one day someone will pick up where they left off and continue the project - who knows until then.

A game client made to hook to a domain or ip is useless without a socket server.

Project discontinued link: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=625
- Ugh!!! -
edevore

Postby Hoppimike » Thu Jan 30, 2014 1:48 am

edevore wrote:The EGS "SOCKET" is no where near complete and in fact the team abandoned their EGS project awhile ago so there would be no use running a machine or server to house a non-existent socket at this current time.... maybe one day someone will pick up where they left off and continue the project - who knows until then.

A game client made to hook to a domain or ip is useless without a socket server.

Project discontinued link: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=625

what do you mean by socket? Wouldn't you run EGS in the same way you might run Apache or nginx?
Currently playing Blue Burst on Scht and Ultima.

Come and help me create a great Phantasy Star Universe private server!
Hoppimike

Postby Leon » Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:19 pm

The network protocol for EGS is heavily under-developed. It doesn't know how to respond or handle a good portion of packets or data correctly for it to be playable. It's basically like talking to an infant... ( the client > server that is ). If I remember correctly you couldn't do much beyond talk in a select few lobbies and run around in a mission or 2 that really didn't function well enough to be enjoyable. There's also not a lot in the way of packet information anyway I think.

It would be incredibly nice to have packet logs from the official server as some guidance but I haven't found any. Anyway~ in short the EGS source isn't developed enough for it to function beyond an overly complicated chat client.

As for running it... if I remember right there was a guide in the archive (I can't find it D<) but there are files that can't be distributed also. I don't think you can run a server without them either.
Leon

Return to PSU Modding