server damage flag packets

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

server damage flag packets

Postby break » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:18 am

as ive read in quite a few places, the server reading damage flags ect caused problems due to the sheer amount of them. just theoretically, wouldn't it be possible to forge one flag and output for all damge? in other words if the damage dealt was the same everytime could taht be a possible start for reading or even creating flags?

like i said just a theory, could be completely impossible, just asking
break

Re: server damage flag packets

Postby LightDark » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:24 am

break wrote:in other words if the damage dealt was the same everytime could taht be a possible start for reading or even creating flags?

That was what EGS did. Except that's hard-coding it which doesn't do much in the long run.

Packets sent to a server are "requests" for the server to respond. For example, if I sent a "hit" packet, the server must know that I just hit an enemy. Sounds simple, but then how would the server know:
- Which enemy you just hit?
- How much damage you just did?
- How to show other players on the screen that you just hit an enemy with this amount of damage?
etc.

In other words, sending one packet implicitly sends a bunch of other packets (either from the client or the server) which means you'll have to go through those other packets too. In other words, having one thing functional does not mean everything else will be functional.
LightDark

Postby Riggy » Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:15 am

I would imagine something similar takes place offline as well? Couldn't studying that lead to figuring it out for the online version?
Riggy

Postby LightDark » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:11 am

Agrajag is more the expert for offline mode so he could probably better answer that; I would think no though mostly because offline does not function the same as online (similarities here and there, but different as a whole).
LightDark

Return to PSU Modding