Interested in erlang

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Interested in erlang

Postby the SEGA shop » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:37 pm

Hello Universe.

I would like to learn as much as I can about Erlang, however only ever had some basic Java lessons years ago and was wondering maybe I would need to learn another language first and came across Elixir among others. :?

Is there anywhere on the web or in book stores that would be valuable to my further understanding of the expressions and code used?

I've been reading here
Code: Select all
http://elixir-lang.org/crash-course.html
for a while and wondering if there maybe somewhere better for beginners.

Any links gratefully appreciated. ;)
the SEGA shop

Re: Interested in erlang

Postby essen » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:09 pm

Start with Erlang. http://learnyousomeerlang.com/

There's no point in Elixir, it's just Erlang with a bad syntax.
essen
Site Admin

Postby the SEGA shop » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:49 pm

Thank you essen! exactly what I was looking for.
the SEGA shop

Postby solarboymatt » Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:52 pm

If all you've done with programming is a bit of Java, then maybe you could start with brushing up on the basis with something like Python, since functional programming languages are of a different paradigm than things like Java.

But who knows, I've never tried functional programming, so maybe jumping right into it works just fine since. I've been kinda interested in it myself so I might look into that book essen posted.
solarboymatt

Postby essen » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:06 pm

The Erlang language is very small and simple, it makes no sense to start with a big language full of issues to then try to understand a completely different paradigm, since you'll need to forget everything you learnt anyway.
essen
Site Admin

Postby Rob » Sat Aug 24, 2013 9:25 pm

Sorry to ask you this essen but could you list what linux distro etc you use. Am going to build a pc for server purposes so I can start it up and work on it also.
Rob

Postby edevore » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:42 pm

I would like to know too, OpenSUSE seems to be ok but I feel its missing something important... If you use OpenSUSE you need to use git to obtain erlang because its not preinstalled.
- Ugh!!! -
edevore

Postby essen » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:07 am

The only distro with good Erlang packages is Arch Linux. But you'll need to use a specific git-only version of Erlang when development resumes anyway.
essen
Site Admin

Postby edevore » Sun Aug 25, 2013 8:42 am

essen wrote:The only distro with good Erlang packages is Arch Linux. But you'll need to use a specific git-only version of Erlang when development resumes anyway.

I installed Arch Linux to my server tower for testing and after the first launch I logged in it worked perfectly then I rebooted Arch a second time - the password never worked and I was locked out afterwards.
That issue also happened with xubuntu and never was able to get it to run properly after the first successful launch after shutdown.
- Ugh!!! -
edevore

Postby essen » Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:07 am

You probably didn't configure the keyboard properly, and it thinks you're a qwerty when you have something else idk.
essen
Site Admin

Next

Return to PSU Modding