How can i get others to connect to me on psu?

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

How can i get others to connect to me on psu?

Postby Moka » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:02 am

One mind boggling question thats been busting my brain for awhile is how would you would take this PSU online? Like for others to connect. I just can't figure it out -_- is there a file to edit to where it would forward connections to my vps? or perhaps a hamachi client based thing? I just need more information or if anyone can direct me to a place to read about it, please let me know. I know for a fact once i can read and research something i can get it done, it has never failed me before.
Moka

Re: How can i get others to connect to me on psu?

Postby TJ108 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:35 am

It is more than research. The problem is SEGA had a whole server set up, And all of their files always stayed far past where we could reach. How it works is the client sends out to the server address (witch you can change to be your IP address if that is what you asked, but would do nothing without the server) and then the server responded to the client with data, and the client makes use of it to preform the action.... so on and so forth, just like all game servers. The task at hand is creating a server to read the clients requests and respond correctly so that the client and server work together and essentially the game happens. (EX: the client hits the mob the server responds counts damage and sends out response to clients) So each and every feature of the game that needs to work needs to be coded for, and that is the part that needs to be done. You would have to understand what the client wants to happen, then understand the games format, and then create a server to respond correctly so the client reads and gets it. otherwise nothing woks or whatever you do creates a client crash because the server did not give the response it was looking for. It is not as simple as get the server and run it under your domain because there is no server to get and run. So if you want to take a shot and tackle it you may want to try to help Essen when his project EGS resumes soon.
TJ108

Postby Moka » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:39 am

I would love to help essen if that is all possible. I love doing research and learning, that was a great post that gave me beneficial information. I've had experiences with owning runescape, maplestory, flyff, ffxi, WOW private servers, but those servers were mainly open source to where anyone can download them and work with them. Thanks for the reply much appreciated. And do you think Essen is ever going to resume EGS?
Moka

Postby TJ108 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 4:48 am

Glad I could help. Essen is going to resume http://psumods.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=462 That is a post I made not long ago his comment states that it will. He told me if you want to help then there will be a list of things that need to be done once the project resumes but until then we just have to wait. If you need anything let me know and I will be happy to help or point you in the right direction.
TJ108

Postby Moka » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:27 am

Okay nice nice, i'm just going to stop my developing mine and go for supporting his idea.
Moka

Postby TJ108 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:36 am

If you want to look over his progress so far all of his EGS files are on Github https://github.com/essen/egs Mess around with that and get to know the code. Try doing some research on Erlang the code it is written in. Also you will need to know how to use Linux pretty well if you plan to actually start that up. As of now that server does a lot of nothing because all you can do is walk around, but its as far as anyone has got. I look forward to seeing this resume, I can't wait to get to work on it.
TJ108

Postby SaltyFish » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:46 am

TJ108 wrote:If you want to look over his progress so far all of his EGS files are on Github https://github.com/essen/egs Mess around with that and get to know the code. Try doing some research on Erlang the code it is written in. Also you will need to know how to use Linux pretty well if you plan to actually start that up. As of now that server does a lot of nothing because all you can do is walk around, but its as far as anyone has got. I look forward to seeing this resume, I can't wait to get to work on it.

You forgot the glorified chat room part. :)
SaltyFish

Postby essen » Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:02 am

People will be able to help without knowing Erlang for all the packet parsing, file parsing, scripting etc. part. I'm working on allowing that while waiting.
essen
Site Admin

Postby Moka » Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:50 pm

essen wrote:People will be able to help without knowing Erlang for all the packet parsing, file parsing, scripting etc. part. I'm working on allowing that while waiting.

Thanks, whenever you decide to jump back on this project, let me know and i'll do everything i can
Moka

Return to PSU Modding