GM/Dev/Sega Staff Areas?

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

GM/Dev/Sega Staff Areas?

Postby mattwo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:53 am

You know I'm curious, with City of Heroes at least having the Paragon Dance Party(after it was replaced with Pocket D anyway) and WoW having the GM and Dev islands and stuff, did PSU have any online-only areas that the regular players could not get to? I'd like to know the same about PSO actually but this is the PSU research board, although there's no PSO research board.
mattwo

Re: GM/Dev/Sega Staff Areas?

Postby Chikinface » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:01 am

There were GM test missions, one of which was accidentally left live on the servers. Not really the same thing, but given that these things are server-defined there's going to be no way to tell short of getting a hold of a former PSU GM who's willing to spill the beans.

There is also the test map.
Chikinface

Postby mattwo » Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:05 am

Hmm is the test map useable as a lobby? I mean, they really are mostly just used as a hangout spot for GMs who aren't busy right? Unless all the GMs in games are running around invisible which would also explain why I only see them when they have a reason to be seen. I remember the CoH GMs would appear to people who sent in a help ticket as some random object or NPC, it was hilarious. God I miss that game.
mattwo

Postby the SEGA shop » Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:05 pm

Raujinn wrote:There were GM test missions, one of which was accidentally left live on the servers.

I Remember that as at the time I was training my bot running on fight for food, I did notice a rather large crowd gathering around the space dock but was too busy bashing out the mission over and over as fast as i could.

Was totally gutted when i found out what had gone on and due to the role back afterwards all the work i had done instead of checking out what was going on had been erased so i had always wished i got to see what i hear happened in that test server.
the SEGA shop

Postby essen » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:18 pm

The test map was only used in very early PSU development, it's not exactly playable.
essen
Site Admin

Postby Qwerty » Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:19 pm

mattwo wrote:Hmm is the test map useable as a lobby? I mean, they really are mostly just used as a hangout spot for GMs who aren't busy right? Unless all the GMs in games are running around invisible which would also explain why I only see them when they have a reason to be seen. I remember the CoH GMs would appear to people who sent in a help ticket as some random object or NPC, it was hilarious. God I miss that game.
Yeah, well, you see...SEGA never has GMs in the game except for certain publicity events.
Qwerty

Postby Mikuru » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:17 pm

I've never seen the test map. I didn't even know there was one but I always imagined one. I thought of it as this area with like every weapon in the game, even unreleased stuff for free in a little shop! I was 12 at the time I thought of that. heh heh

Sega had GMs on sometimes. I have a few videos on my YouTube channel of GMs on PSU just playing on there free time. It was pretty rare that happened, but it did.

In case your curious:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7A0E7B1B45D46559&feature=mh_lolz
Mikuru

Postby LightDark » Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:35 am

As essen said, the test map was only used for developments and is not meant for "hanging out". It's not impressive as anyone makes it out to be. Part of the test map's purpose is to just ensure that the environments are working as intended - for example, if I walk over water, I should hear a "splash" sound.

Here's one of the angles of the test map.

LightDark

Postby Mikuru » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:37 pm

Ah yes. I've seen this several times in other games. Cool!
Mikuru

Postby Vashyron » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:53 pm

One of the more interesting parts of the test map is that there are paths crossing over another. Something not used at all anywhere else that I can remember.

(I suspect issues in Enemy AI with that.)
Vashyron

Next

Return to PSU Modding