Ys Oath in Felghana Available on Steam

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Ys Oath in Felghana Available on Steam

Postby schlagwerk » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:56 pm

Oh look, I'm shilling Falcom games again.

Anyhow, Ys Oath in Felghana has been released in English on Steam today for $15 and the game was one of the finest action RPG experiences I had in 2007 (Japanese PC ver). Not to mention the satisfaction of watching myself going from dying 10 times on the first boss on Normal difficulty to finishing the game on Inferno difficulty and beating the hidden bosses in a progression of skill.

Oh, and dat soundtrack

Ys Origin is coming out later this year for Steam and all signs point to most of Falcom's PC catalog being fair game after that.
schlagwerk

Re: Ys Oath in Felghana Available on Steam

Postby essen » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:05 am

While it sounds interesting, I'm still waiting for a sale to get it.
essen
Site Admin

Postby solarboymatt » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:48 am

I bought Oath in Felghana earlier today, even though I can't play it until next week though since I'm out of town and only have my netbook with me. I'll definitely buy Origin, when it comes out, even though I've already played the fan translation. Although I dread going through the desert area another three times...

I recently discovered Falcom's games after getting the PSP version of Oath in Felghana a while back, and Ys games are my favorite action RPGs now.

The way I see this is that Xseed is probably testing the waters with Ys, to see if Steam is a viable platform for releasing the rest of the Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky series. I don't care what they release it on, I just want to be able to play SC and The 3rd...
solarboymatt

Postby Hominghead » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:18 am

Ys Origin in english?

I have a fan-made english patch, didn't get through the game yet though.
Hominghead

Postby Mewn » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:17 pm

I've never played a Ys game, but it looks interesting. That said, £9.99 is a little steep for a game I'm not sure I would like.
Mewn

Postby solarboymatt » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:13 pm

If a fast paced, challenging (but never unfair), action RPG with fairly minimal but surprisingly well handled platforming sections, appeal to you then definitely look into it.
solarboymatt

Postby essen » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:18 pm

I don't think it'll be as good as Bastion though. But it's definitely a good news for ARPG fans like me. ;)
essen
Site Admin

Postby schlagwerk » Tue May 29, 2012 5:14 pm

And now Ys Origin is coming out on Steam this week, but at the steeper price of $20 USD. I've talked to the XSEED rep who made the announcement about demo versions or a sale.

IMO, gameplay-wise Origin is better than Oath in Felghana. Story, music, art it's hard for me to like one over the other.
schlagwerk

Postby schlagwerk » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:56 pm

Both Steam Ys games are priced down for the Steam Summer Sale
Ys: Oath in Felghana is down to $5.09
Ys Origin is down to $12.. still steep but Felghana can be used to gauge interest in the series as Origin is designed similarly but just better in almost all ways.

Though from replaying both titles recently I gotta say I forgot how stupidly long the intros are in order to get to the actiony goodness. Both feature 10-20min of unskippable story & videos before just letting you run around and kill stuff.
schlagwerk

Return to PSU Modding