[Help Needed] PSO2 Crashing after Introduction

I'm sure PSO2 will get a US version some time this century. Meanwhile there is a patch and this is the forum where you can discuss it and get help with issues.

[Help Needed] PSO2 Crashing after Introduction

Postby Hazelstiltskin » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:34 pm

Allright, I know that there have been many a post like this one, but I can never seem to find a solid answer or solution-- PSO2 will load up, the SEGA and other logo flash by, the intro starts, ends, and then... crash. No title screen. Windows doesn't alert me of a crash as it usually spazzes to do so, it doesn't remain in Task Manager, it just closes, kind of like a close at the end of Slender when you die.

I can't really get a screencap because there are no errors or popups, so it would seem both pointless and tricky to do so.

I run a Vista (I know, it must seem hopeless already) desktop, it's an Inspiron, and the graphic card is an Intel G33/G31 Express Chipset Family. I barely know what any of it means, but the graphics card has been a problem for games in the past and I have my suspicions towards it now. I have no idea how to replace it or update it if needed, which is why I'm asking here if there are any other options to fixing PSO2 before having to do so. x'D

Anything else to add would be that I have Avast! and AVG, which I know is kind of retarded to have both but AVG detects better and Avast! removes better in my experience, so I have them to protect my child. x'D My demented, retarded Vista child.

I have the English Patch, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, I have put PSO2 on my harddrive and then onto my external and all to no luck.

Thanks for your time~
Hazel.
Hazelstiltskin

Re: [Help Needed] PSO2 Crashing after Introduction

Postby Maronji » Tue Mar 26, 2013 11:57 pm

Have you tried running the game without the English patch? If it's currently applied to your current installation, try to do a file-check (third button on the launcher) and run the game without it if you haven't done so already.

If that wasn't related at all, have you tried changing the Simple Drawing Setting to 1? Weaker/older graphics cards typically can't handle the complex shaders PSO2 uses, but setting simple shaders/the Simple Drawing Setting to 1 usually helps weaker computers/GPUs run the game.

If that didn't work, some people have had problems with GameGuard and Avast before. I know it's a really dumb suggestion, but try completely uninstalling Avast temporarily (disabling it doesn't help; trust me, people have tried that already) and see if that fixes anything.

If not, then you're going to need a dedicated video card. It's generally not recommended (although sometimes possible, depending on the game) to play on integrated graphics chips (which is what that is). You'll have to do some research on the motherboard inside your case and figure out what kind of slots it has (it'd suck to get a PCI-Express video card if your motherboard has, say, AGP (which if it's a newer computer, I'd think that wouldn't be the case, despite being a Vista desktop)). Though if you can tell me the model of your computer (and/or the motherboard), I can help you find a video card that's appropriate for your computer.
Maronji

Postby Hazelstiltskin » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:23 pm

Sorry for the late response, lawl. xD

I've tried that before, as well as completely uninstalling and reinstalling without using the patch at all. I've switched the settings to low (I always do that first on /any/ game I have because this isn't the first game my computer has refused to run. xD I just want PSO to work that much more than the other game, so anything will help).

I'll try to remove Avast and see if that works, but I'm half certain that this is a graphics card related problem. (I'm not on the same computer at the moment so I can't do that now). As much as I'd like to say I'm good with computers, compared to what you just said in that last paragraph I feel like I know nothing. I would seriously appreciate some help with a graphics card due to me knowing virtually nothing about them.
Okay, I'm just going to type everything from the basic information page (even if it means re-typing what I'd had in the first post):
Manufacturer: Dell
Model: Inspiron 530S
Processor: Intel Pentium Dual CPU E2200 @2.20GHz 2.20 GHz
RAM: 3.00 GB

I have no clue if this helped at all; if not, where can I access the information you'd wanted? Sorry for being kind of noobish. <w>"
Hazelstiltskin

Postby Maronji » Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:21 am

Hazelstiltskin wrote:I have no clue if this helped at all

Actually, since you ended up posting the model of your computer, I think it did. This is the product page for your desktop, if it's correct.

If correct, this means that you have 1 16x PCIe slot, so you have some hope. I've done you the liberty of doing a power search on Newegg for possible suitable video card upgrades (though without seeing the actual motherboard and/or the back of the case, I don't know if it'd be possible to use a two-slot card or not, and I don't know if you'd need a low-profile card just by looking at the case).

EDIT: Oh, one more thing. You may want to do further research into your particular computer model before performing any upgrades. You'll want to find out what wattage your power supply is and what revision of PCIe is on your motherboard (which may require further research), first and foremost.
Maronji

Postby Hazelstiltskin » Sat May 11, 2013 8:45 pm

Woohoo, another late reply. x'D

But yup, that's pretty much the same except for mine being as old as crap. xD

Thank you for doing such, but I have no idea where to start. Should I be paying attention to the price or the quality? I plan on getting a new computer... someday... and don't want to buy a graphics card that would be so expensive or so glorious it defeats the purpose of me getting a new computer later on (I plan on getting one with more RAM, too, but hopefully what I have can get me by for now).

I took a totally high-quality picture of the back of my computer in the case it helps out.
Lol, the '98 microphone sticking out in front of the computer. x'D
If those are the slots you mean, I have the Wi-Fi in one and two others that I assume are free.

Allrighty, I'll make sure to do that!
I don't know if you meant you needed the information or not, but if so the wattage is 250 DC, and the other;
PCI: 2 Slots
PCIe x1: 1 Slot
PCIe x16 (Graphics): 1 Slots
I have no clue if that is the revision or not. x'D

Hnng, sorry for bugging you about this. xD If it's too hard (or too time consuming) I'll probably take this dinosaur to a BestBuy or something and see what I can have done.
Hazelstiltskin

Postby Maronji » Sun May 12, 2013 2:20 am

Holy crap, that thing is tiny.

Based on a search on Newegg, uh... You're probably going to want to invest in a bigger rig at some point in the future if you intend on gaming on your PC. According to my brother (who looks at a lot of stuff since he's built a few computers for himself and does a lot of research into the hardware before upgrading), you're not going to be able to put a halfway decent video card into a low-profile case (which is what your computer's case is).

Thankfully, if you're not aiming for maxing out settings on the latest games, you don't have to spend too much on a new video card (after you get/move into a bigger case). Tom's Hardware has useful, informative articles on the Best Graphics Cards for the Money once a month (they haven't put one out for this month yet; the link is for last month's). Similarly, they have one for Gaming CPUs (a bit of a misnomer, but eh, it gets the point across). Regardless of whether you want to/can build your own computer, these articles can be useful, as they always have a tier-chart at the end of them, which you can use to see where certain graphics card/CPUs rank in relation to other/similar ones. You can use the chart in the Gaming CPU article when you go shopping around for your next computer to see if it'd be an upgrade from your current one. Your current computer's CPU is in the third-lowest tier on the chart, so I'm sure any relatively recently-released pre-built computer would be a significant upgrade at this point (the general rule is to go for something at least three tiers higher, or else you won't really notice much of an improvement). They also have other interesting articles there from time-to-time.

Just be sure to take those charts with a grain of salt, though. They're meant to be aids, after all, not "Buy something from the top-tier" lists. lol

Sorry I couldn't be of greater help.
Maronji

Return to PSO2 Patch