we need psu private server up again

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

we need psu private server up again

Postby yuyustars1 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:00 am

:( ok ok okI understand that essen stop the project but why we have to sit here and see this fall under. why can we do something about it by reviving the game back to original state and why we have to suffer. some of us dont like pso2 and many will do anything just to play psu once again. even I am suffering from the lost of psu :( but Im from jp server and my pc cant handle the power or the memory for pso2. so what do we have to do to make this happen again . if I was a smart girl and know how the coding work or how its function then sure I don't mind building a community of player to support the EGG server. but I don't know how to do it so I am not skillful to make that happen. I mean there a lot people including my self want to see psu to be come a online private server and be more open to the public. I know everyone already heard of Ultima PSOBB and other private server for psobb. so why not make this to be known as the first psu private server can be online for other to play legit with no hacking or cheating in the game and be more skillful for psu problem.
so why not do it if u have the support u need to make this happen. so what stopping from everyone making this happen

I mean don't just one guys do all the work so let work as a team so psu can be more playable for the public

so please work together to make this game better. and don't be lazy just make it happen
I sure love this happen again
yuyustars1

Re: we need psu private server up again

Postby LightDark » Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:06 pm

yuyustars1 wrote:so why not do it if u have the support u need to make this happen. so what stopping from everyone making this happen

"Support" is not the same as "expertise". We need more people who know how to analyze PSU at its detailed level, not people who are ready to make Youtube videos or post links on their blogs and advertise about this site. The irony is that this website is becoming more useful for PSO2 than PSU anyways, not to mention PSO2 getting much more support out of players who are so readily to contribute.

I mean don't just one guys do all the work

In the real world, nothing significant ever gets accomplished from just one person handling it.

so please work together to make this game better. and don't be lazy just make it happen

If you could find people who know how to program in Erlang, have time to program a server, or even have the knowledge to analyze PSU's backends (this especially), send them our way. Otherwise, it won't happen. Period.
LightDark

Postby essen » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:08 pm

If someone did all the work to spec the protocol and inner workings of the server, I could spend the few time it would require to write the server. The server isn't the problem, research is.
essen
Site Admin

Postby yuyustars1 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:45 am

thank you for telling me this. I only hope we can see this threw in the future. one last thing I like to ask is what about modding a playstation 2 with the psu aoti cd disc and making some kind of a code ip system like they did with SCHTHACK Phantasy Star Online for the game cube and have it just its normal original state for the playsation 2. I understand most all the newer item and PA's were on the pc version in japan, but would be best if we find a way to run the game in a modded console by making a private IP system for everyone can enjoy. I also aware of the offline in one your topic. but not fun playing alone you know. but at the same time we all want to have great time playing with other. yes I understand its not the server but its the research and I understand the possibility.
yuyustars1

Postby essen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:56 am

Multiplayer requires a working server. There's no way around that.
essen
Site Admin

Postby mattwo » Sun Nov 04, 2012 3:57 am

I mean don't just one guys do all the work

In the real world, nothing significant ever gets accomplished from just one person handling it.

That may be the case, but just how many people were exactly making proper contributions when the server was still happening?

I can understand that not everyone can, but it seemed like you were under-staffed to begin with which is why no real progress happened in a timely manner...
mattwo

Postby LightDark » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:48 am

mattwo wrote:That may be the case, but just how many people were exactly making proper contributions when the server was still happening?

I can understand that not everyone can, but it seemed like you were under-staffed to begin with which is why no real progress happened in a timely manner...

There were an abundant back when the project began; disagreements with the approach to making a PSU server was the primary incentive for the start of EGS.

Many people might have remembered nyuzero's attempt at it but was closed off to the public. In contrast, EGS was open to everyone so that anyone could have contributed. This worked out really well at the start, but over time the novelty dropped. The basics of a server worked out really well and it was an impressive sight at first; but after the core basics, it became increasingly difficult to move on and work on the lower level details of the server.

This topic was posted about 2 years ago on information that essen and the project team need, but as you can see, not a single person was able to find the information and shared it. As such, there was nothing they can do aside from following their own limited knowledge, which led to nowhere.

"Understaffed" is not the correct way to put it; "lacking expertise" is. If they have people with the knowledge to build a server, then something can be done. But if there is no one who can step up and help out, this "on-hold" status will continue on. So once again, feel free to invite anyone who has the knowledge to analyze PSU's backends and send them their way. Otherwise, it won't happen.
LightDark

Postby essen » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:45 pm

We did manage to understand or do most of the things on that list, but that list also increased in size (understanding enemies hits and such for example, which we never figured out so far). But yeah the only one who's still doing some PSU stuff really is Agrajag, for his Episode 3+ project.

The issue with this server in particular is that it does a lot of things, has many weird stuff that SEGA patched in update after update, and all this is overly complicated and would take a lot more time to reimplement than writing a server from scratch. So while I'm still interested in doing a game server, I'm not so much interested in implementing PSU's, where every time you dig into it you find even more limitations on what you can do.
essen
Site Admin

Postby mattwo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:34 am

Did SWGemu build theirs from scratch? I remember they said they reverse-engineered it to avoid legal issues.

I'm pretty sure reverse-engineer means building something yourself based on an existing concept.
mattwo

Postby Agrajag » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:28 am

egs was not based on the official server, but it is still required to use the same protocol to talk to the client (because that's all it understands). If you played on the earliest test server, you'd see why this is a problem--chairs, stairs, PP cubes, universe cubes, and NPCs all permanently froze the client if the server didn't respond appropriately, which it didn't back then. Pretty much no matter what, it's going to be using the same protocol, it's going to have to still send the "Lock" text for your inventory (relic from when the PS2 version was still supported), it's going to be sending the GAS text as plaintext, etc, etc.

There were vanishingly few people who actually contributed usefully, to be honest. All of the coding work fell on essen, while scriptkiddie (when he was around; he's amazingly helpful, but tends to vanish for months on end because of his living situation) and I ended up doing the vast majority of the "taking data files apart" bit (much of which is going into the offline project). A few people contributed useful information (throttlekitty's .xnj notes are the most memorable), several people promised to do things but then vanished inexplicably, and a lot of people stuck around but didn't have the expertise to really add much.

Nyu's server project apparently never really got off the starting line, if their source is any indication. Kind of a shame.
Agrajag

Next

Return to PSU Modding