Did it die?

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: Did it die?

Postby Rokon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:06 pm

Considering the circumstances, it looks very difficult. Essen, do not succumb to stress! *Gives Cocoa*
Windows 95 is better than Windows 7, because 95 is a higher version number than 7.
Rokon

Postby Vashyron » Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:39 am

Hopefully it's in a playable state before PSO2 comes out. :>
Vashyron

Postby Rokon » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:33 am

Vashyron wrote:Hopefully it's in a playable state before PSO2 comes out. :>

I think PSO2's Alpha Test 2 just ended, so I think it'll be a long time before we ever see it. That is, unless you decide to to play their version.
Windows 95 is better than Windows 7, because 95 is a higher version number than 7.
Rokon

Postby Cisce » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:27 am

Rokon wrote:

I think PSO2's Alpha Test 2 just ended, so I think it'll be a long time before we ever see it. That is, unless you decide to to play their version.

It ended back in the start of this month and it was glorious. We're expecting the Beta before summer. :)
Cisce

Postby Mewn » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:05 pm

Rokon wrote:That is, unless you decide to to play their version.

A lot of people are going to play the Japanese version - we're tired of the shitty service non-Japanese players get.
Mewn

Postby Kotor Revan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:42 pm

So you guys think this "mod" is going be finished this year ? I mean, this server for AOTI ?

Is it just for PC or PS2 too ?
Kotor Revan

Postby Mewn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:00 pm

Depends what you mean by 'finished', the server's probably going to be a work-in-progress even when playable due to the nature of the project as a research project, as well as a private server project. Not like we just have Sega's code here. It'll be a while though for sure.

And it's just for PC. I think we had this discussion about PS2 on the old forums and I believe in the end it was generally agreed that PS2 compatibility would be too much effort for too little reward, and that it was better to focus on making the server work on PC. There's also content and client issues with the PS2 version - the Japanese servers stopped PS2 support shortly before the 3rd supplemental update so if we use a client from after that update PS2 won't be compatible anyway, and PS2 lacks data for any supplemental weapons, displaying them as generic weapons instead.
Mewn

Postby Kotor Revan » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:44 pm

Mewn wrote:Depends what you mean by 'finished', the server's probably going to be a work-in-progress even when playable due to the nature of the project as a research project, as well as a private server project. Not like we just have Sega's code here. It'll be a while though for sure.

And it's just for PC. I think we had this discussion about PS2 on the old forums and I believe in the end it was generally agreed that PS2 compatibility would be too much effort for too little reward, and that it was better to focus on making the server work on PC. There's also content and client issues with the PS2 version - the Japanese servers stopped PS2 support shortly before the 3rd supplemental update so if we use a client from after that update PS2 won't be compatible anyway, and PS2 lacks data for any supplemental weapons, displaying them as generic weapons instead.

Hmm but you think its gonna be playable this year ? At least the first missions?
Kotor Revan

Postby Mewn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:23 pm

That you would probably have to ask essen. From what I understand, mission structure is currently one of the most researched things so once the basics of gameplay are sorted adding most non-event missions should in theory be relatively simple. I'm no expert though so take that with a pinch of salt.
Mewn

Postby mattwo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:15 pm

We did have missions before the code had to be re-worked.

I'll say this much though considering the amount of time it's taken, and comparing EGS to SWGemu, who also had to reverse engineer the game's coding, it will take much longer yet. (I know SWGemu is making huge progress lately but they've been around for a lot longer, IIRC)

Course in SWGemu's case, the code no longer existed. There's still the Japanese PC version in EGS's case but that would make the legal grey area a bit darker (stchack is lucky sega turned a blind eye in this regard)
mattwo

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding