The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedback]

I'm sure PSO2 will get a US version some time this century. Meanwhile there is a patch and this is the forum where you can discuss it and get help with issues.

The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedback]

Postby Qwerty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:40 am

Lately, I've been seeing people talking about patch names they don't like for various reasons on PSOW or bumped. None of us that actually work on the patch actually post in either of those spots with any frequency, so all of that feedback is lost on us. And so, this thread is now a thing.

Welcome one and all to Chroto and Marlurrrr-chan's Bogus Thread: The Patch Name Debate Estate.


What to post in this thread:
  • Localization issues with the patch (such as things not translated that should be, or typos/errors/text spacing issues)
  • Provide feedback on localizations from SEA PSO2 that you would be interested in seeing in the English patch
  • Tell us why you do not like certain names we use in the patch and suggest changes (WARNING: You're probably wrong.)
  • Talk about Dark Vibrace/Beevlath/BIBURASU-KUN/Bieber Ass
  • Ask any other sort of questions you might have about the localizations we use in the patch.

What not to post in this thread:
  • Technical issues with any English patch (start a new thread in this subforum for technical issues with base/largefiles English patch)
  • Any localization issues related to AIDA's stuff, such as the story patch and item name patch (he has threads on PSOW for those, post there).


That's it! Go crazy, folks!
User avatar
Qwerty
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:05 am

Re: The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedba

Postby Qwerty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:57 am

I'll start off by answering a popular question that comes up rather frequently:

When will the patch finally update to the correct and official English names for NPCs, as seen in the credits sequence or other material? When will we see Chroto or Marlur?

And the answer is never, because those names are not only bad, but they are also wrong. But how, you ask, can an official name be wrong? Because many Japanese content creators do not have a precise grasp on English spelling and pronunciation. Additionally, there are multiple different systems that can be used to romanize Japanese text (even that written in katakana), and the systems taught in Japanese schools differ from the system commonly used by native English-speakers. And that is just one of many factors.

To the content creator (and the intended Japanese audience), there would be no significant difference between Chroto and Klotho, as they would both be read ku-ro-to. To an English-speaker, though, there is a huge difference. Klotho is not only an actual name, but it also fits with the naming scheme (minor planetoids) followed by multiple other NPCs in the game. Chroto, on the other hand, is...absolutely nothing. The same applies to Marlu/Marlur.

And so, it is our opinion that Chroto and Marlur are incorrect despite their appearance in official media, and consequently those names will not be changing.


For more information on this subject, please read the following articles from a professional Japanese to English translator:

http://legendsoflocalization.com/qa-why ... led-yossy/
http://legendsoflocalization.com/final- ... -in-a-name

Clyde Mandelin wrote:As I’ve mentioned before, you really have to take “official” English spellings with a grain of salt. I can’t even count the number of times I’ve encountered incorrect English by a Japanese creator or licensor.
User avatar
Qwerty
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:05 am

Re: The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedba

Postby ezodagrom » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:45 pm

Another thing that could be noted about "official" names is that sometimes they're inconsistent, for example, the planet Lillipa being called "Lilipur", "Ririepa" and "Lillipa" in different official materials.
User avatar
ezodagrom
 
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedba

Postby Rappy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:19 pm

Maru is cuter than Marlu. I DEMAND CHANGE
User avatar
Rappy
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:58 am

Re: The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedba

Postby Qwerty » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:20 pm

o u
User avatar
Qwerty
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:05 am

Re: The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedba

Postby xfri » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:31 pm

Some dialog/description still in japanese

1. Quest start dialog
2. Quest finish dialog
3. Some Quest description
4. Some weapon, armor, item, ETC description still in Japanese even using tweaker item translation
5. NPC dialog
xfri
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedba

Postby Rappy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:38 pm

This came to my mind. Do you think Log'Belt would be better than Rog'Belt? It would match Rockbear with having to do with nature stuff.
User avatar
Rappy
 
Posts: 145
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 12:58 am

Re: The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedba

Postby Qwerty » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:15 pm

xfri wrote:Some dialog/description still in japanese

1. Quest start dialog
2. Quest finish dialog
3. Some Quest description
4. Some weapon, armor, item, ETC description still in Japanese even using tweaker item translation
5. NPC dialog

1. Not a priority,
2. Not a priority.
3. Not a priority.
4. Go tell AIDA about that on PSOW. As stated above, this is not the thread for that.
5. Not a priority.

1-3 and 5 might get done eventually, but I would not hold your breath. Really, it won't happen unless someone steps up and provides translations, because most of us really don't care about it (because it is, by and large, extremely dry and boring). Perhaps we will get around to it eventually. Thanks.

Rappy wrote:This came to my mind. Do you think Log'Belt would be better than Rog'Belt? It would match Rockbear with having to do with nature stuff.
Maybe, but our rationale on that was the PSO enemy Hildebear. It had an ultimate variation known as the Hildelt.

Rockbear:Rogbelt::Hildebear:Hildelt

I still call him "Logbert" though, because I think it sounds funny.
User avatar
Qwerty
 
Posts: 458
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:05 am

Re: The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedba

Postby xfri » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:03 am

Qwerty wrote:
xfri wrote:Some dialog/description still in japanese

1. Quest start dialog
2. Quest finish dialog
3. Some Quest description
4. Some weapon, armor, item, ETC description still in Japanese even using tweaker item translation
5. NPC dialog

1. Not a priority,
2. Not a priority.
3. Not a priority.
4. Go tell AIDA about that on PSOW. As stated above, this is not the thread for that.
5. Not a priority.

1-3 and 5 might get done eventually, but I would not hold your breath. Really, it won't happen unless someone steps up and provides translations, because most of us really don't care about it (because it is, by and large, extremely dry and boring). Perhaps we will get around to it eventually. Thanks.

Rappy wrote:This came to my mind. Do you think Log'Belt would be better than Rog'Belt? It would match Rockbear with having to do with nature stuff.
Maybe, but our rationale on that was the PSO enemy Hildebear. It had an ultimate variation known as the Hildelt.

Rockbear:Rogbelt::Hildebear:Hildelt

I still call him "Logbert" though, because I think it sounds funny.


Okay thanks for the reply.
xfri
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:24 pm

Re: The Localization Argumentation Destination [Patch Feedba

Postby Mewn » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:12 pm

Rappy wrote:This came to my mind. Do you think Log'Belt would be better than Rog'Belt? It would match Rockbear with having to do with nature stuff.

I'm not really seeing the connection between Rogbelt and logs. Rockbear makes sense because it's a 'bear' enemy in a similar vein to Hildebear and Bil De Vear, and it's pretty craggy and rock-like. Logbelt makes zero sense and sounds inconsistent with Rockbear.
User avatar
Mewn
 
Posts: 224
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:31 am

Next

Return to PSO2 Patch

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 2 guests