How has this game changed?

I'm sure PSO2 will get a US version some time this century. Meanwhile there is a patch and this is the forum where you can discuss it and get help with issues.

How has this game changed?

Postby TJ108 » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:38 pm

So I played around launch, and I was wondering what has changed about it. The game to me sort of came off as bad, maybe because of the major grind that everything was, or just that I was so used to PSU, with the more open world, instead of one lobby. I also noticed when I played that leveling up a photon art or spell did nothing to its appearance, and it seemed to have a rather low level cap. Has that aspect changed? are there any actually hard spells/photon arts to get now? or are they all still around lower levels and have very small changes upon leveling up? Another topic I wonder about is the sub-class system, or the advanced classes as they call it. How have those developed? and do they have real benefits? or are they just a way to re-roll your character?

Any and all responses are welcome, thanks in advanced :D
TJ108

Re: How has this game changed?

Postby Chikinface » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:17 pm

If you hated it at the start you're still gonna hate it.
Chikinface

Postby KanameChidori » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:30 pm

TJ108 wrote:So I played around launch, and I was wondering what has changed about it. The game to me sort of came off as bad, maybe because of the major grind that everything was, or just that I was so used to PSU, with the more open world, instead of one lobby. I also noticed when I played that leveling up a photon art or spell did nothing to its appearance, and it seemed to have a rather low level cap. Has that aspect changed? are there any actually hard spells/photon arts to get now? or are they all still around lower levels and have very small changes upon leveling up? Another topic I wonder about is the sub-class system, or the advanced classes as they call it. How have those developed? and do they have real benefits? or are they just a way to re-roll your character?

Any and all responses are welcome, thanks in advanced :D

Not at all the game still sucks.
KanameChidori

Postby Agrajag » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:47 am

Addressing one point at a time, trying to not be too jaded (but probably still rather jaded):
TJ108 wrote:The game to me sort of came off as bad, maybe because of the major grind that everything was, or just that I was so used to PSU, with the more open world, instead of one lobby.

Still true. As an added bonus, going from 45-50 (level 40 unlocks very hard difficulty, level 50 is super hard difficulty) quadruples the required exp per level. Not even exaggerating, check the wiki (44-45 is 270,000, 49-50 is 1,120,000). The top graph on that page is exp per level, the bottom one is total exp.

TJ108 wrote:I also noticed when I played that leveling up a photon art or spell did nothing to its appearance, and it seemed to have a rather low level cap. Has that aspect changed? are there any actually hard spells/photon arts to get now? or are they all still around lower levels and have very small changes upon leveling up?

The current level cap for PAs/techs is 16. The way Sega rebalances PAs is to have it take effect at the next level tier, so a lot of PAs suddenly jump in power at 11 or 16. PAs level 11+ can't be traded or bought/sold on the player market. Some PAs are only available from rare monsters. I'm sure you can do the math here.

TJ108 wrote:Another topic I wonder about is the sub-class system, or the advanced classes as they call it. How have those developed? and do they have real benefits? or are they just a way to re-roll your character?

Officially, the second-tier classes are supposed to be the same level of power as the original ones, just with different weapons/skills (e.g Hunter gets sword/partisan/wired lance/gunslash, Fighter gets double saber/knuckles/twin dagger/gunslash), but you have to level their basic class to 30 to unlock them.

Subclassing is a different thing entirely--you can select a second class, in order to gain 1/5 of its stats, the ability to use PAs for its weapons (you can still only use certain weapons on off-classes--for instance, partisans are normally hunter-only, but Soul Eater can be used by all classes), and the ability to use its skills.

Note that Sega's insistence on making 90% of your skill points go into "+x% raw damage" skills largely wrecked the ability to use interesting class combinations. Hunter doubles all striking and ranged damage, fighter adds 50% extra to all damage (if you hit the monsters from the front), braver adds 40-something% extra all damage for hitting monster weakpoints or weak elements (for techs). Ranger/gunner only add ranged damage, force and techer only add teching damage, ...

Hunter's Fury Stance was underpowered (it added 150 S-ATK/R-ATK at level 10, +100 if you max both of the Fury S Up skills) compared to Brave/Wise Stance (+44% for brave if you max it and its boost skill and hit a monster from the front, +70% on wise if you max it and its boost skill and hit a monster from behind). They changed Fury Stance to give +25% all damage, made both of its boost skills give 10% extra damage each, and then added a +20% JA bonus skill while fury stance is active, for a total of +81% damage in exchange for taking 10% extra damage.

Gunner had major issues; it's pretty much an exclusively single-target class (primary main mobbing option was gunslash, which literally every other class uses better) and had two skills that added +15% damage each for being less than 3 feet from a monster, then one more that'd add 20% if you were at 100% HP (it's not gradual--it's on or off, so if you equip an item that adds 10 max HP, it's no longer active). They responded by adding a skill that literally doubles its damage output.

This is Sega's approach to balance.

They occasionally add clever things, but they always manage to find some way to ruin it.
"We'll add a new quest that's completely different from anything before!" ... "and then we'll make it only available at random times during the day."
"We'll add a way to upgrade old weapons so you can use them at higher levels or by different classes!" ... "and then we'll make it depend on either buying AC or relying on the RNG to make a weapon usable by other classes" ... "and also we'll make them have far higher variance than any actual 10*, rendering them pretty much worthless in most circumstances".
"We'll add quests that have fun challenges and let you work towards 11* weapons"... "and then restrict you to one run a day".

Some things have gotten better, but...
Raujinn wrote:If you hated it at the start you're still gonna hate it.
Agrajag

Postby TJ108 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Thanks everyone for your responses :D

I think Ill stay away from it then, I don't really think that I will enjoy it enough to invest time into it.
to be totally honest I hope that this game someday blows up in Sega's face, and they realize that they might have been better off with a PSU2 rather than the PSO thing, I get that they are different, but in today's gaming world, people don't really want PSO style spin off with micro-transactions.

And yeah I did hate it then, and think that I still will now, only time I had fun with it was the first 8 hours I played and then I realized that I'd be working towards nothing because there was no goals to be set. (the most expensive thing on the market was a dress)

For now I think ill spend my free time writing to the EGS files, and attempting to better understand Erlang.
TJ108

Postby Qwerty » Sun Feb 02, 2014 9:55 pm

TJ108 wrote:in today's gaming world, people don't really want PSO style spin off with micro-transactions.
Unfortunately, the game's success in Japan has proven that, at least among their primary target audience, this is precisely what people want.
Qwerty

Postby Chikinface » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Just don't get this internet thing, do you? You can't let silly things like "facts" or "being wrong" get in the way of information.
Chikinface

Postby TJ108 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 6:10 pm

When I said blow up in their face because people don't want it I meant the EU/US version when and if it ever comes out xD

And as for facts, those are just myths made up by the government don't ya know? nah I'm sure there targeted crowd loves it, I just don't think that the whole phantasy star crowd does (everyone on this site for instance)
TJ108

Postby eccent » Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:49 am

TJ108 wrote:When I said blow up in their face because people don't want it I meant the EU/US version when and if it ever comes out xD

And as for facts, those are just myths made up by the government don't ya know? nah I'm sure there targeted crowd loves it, I just don't think that the whole phantasy star crowd does (everyone on this site for instance)

Oh, don't worry. The game financially is probably a huge success (like every fanservice MMO is these days). But every japanese gaming critic website has run this game into the ground in ratings. Just google translate and search it. The playerbase at large hates it.

Sega already knows they screwed over the franchise and all the actual Phantasy Star fans hate them at this point. They just don't care anymore. They've grabbed a new audience, and I think they're content, because it's making them more money then actually trying ever has.

Type in "PSO2 レビュー" in google (PSO2 Review) and you'll get nothing but terrible metacritic scores and hate. This is why they brought the game to China before the US...it would never succeed over here.
eccent

Postby TJ108 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:29 pm

eccent wrote:
TJ108 wrote:When I said blow up in their face because people don't want it I meant the EU/US version when and if it ever comes out xD

Oh, don't worry. The game financially is probably a huge success (like every fanservice MMO is these days). But every japanese gaming critic website has run this game into the ground in ratings. Just google translate and search it. The playerbase at large hates it.

Sega already knows they screwed over the franchise and all the actual Phantasy Star fans hate them at this point. They just don't care anymore. They've grabbed a new audience, and I think they're content, because it's making them more money then actually trying ever has.

Type in "PSO2 レビュー" in google (PSO2 Review) and you'll get nothing but terrible metacritic scores and hate. This is why they brought the game to China before the US...it would never succeed over here.

Thats actually really interesting. I never knew that they brought it to China. Good response :) I have pretty much lost hope for SEGA at this point anyways.
TJ108

Return to PSO2 Patch