PSO2 English Patch Problem

I'm sure PSO2 will get a US version some time this century. Meanwhile there is a patch and this is the forum where you can discuss it and get help with issues.

PSO2 English Patch Problem

Postby Chronosylvur » Fri Jun 21, 2013 10:03 am

I don't know why, but after applying the English patch and opening the game...
Nothing is translated at all. Quests, Boards, Talking, ect.
Anyone know why?
I downloaded the "Story Patch 5-20-2013.rar" and extracted all the files into PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\pso2_bin\data\win32
No matter how many times I copy the files over - or reinstall the game and then copy them over - it won't translate anything.

Help would be appreciated.
Chronosylvur

Re: PSO2 English Patch Problem

Postby Rappy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:31 am

EDIT: SPAM read wrong, my bad.
Last edited by Rappy on Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rappy

Postby Maronji » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:37 am

Chronosylvur wrote:I downloaded the "Story Patch 5-20-2013.rar" and extracted all the files into PHANTASYSTARONLINE2\pso2_bin\data\win32
No matter how many times I copy the files over - or reinstall the game and then copy them over - it won't translate anything.

If the underlined file is the only one you downloaded, then you screwed up big time. That translates the story quest and matter board event text only. It doesn't contain any of the menu translation files, period.

Not to mention that there's word going around that the story patch is broken right now anyway, so in a way, you kinda double screwed up big time. You're going to want to run a file-check on your game (third button in the launcher; if you made a backup of the files, restore that first) so you don't encounter any strange issues until the story patch gets fixed.

Just read the first post of this thread. It'll give you what you need to translate the menus and stuff. Just make sure you don't make the common rookie mistake of "grabbing the Large Files patch, thinking that it has everything in it". The Large Files patch is an add-on (just like the story patch), so it doesn't have any of the menu translation files either.

Rappy wrote:Well, you should be getting the one that is made in this month not one from last month..

You make it sound as if there's a new version of the Story Patch, which is the only patch that the OP particularly mentioned. Spoiler: there isn't a new version of that yet.
Maronji

Postby Rappy » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:46 am

You make it sound as if there's a new version of the Story Patch, which is the only patch that the OP particularly mentioned. Spoiler: there isn't a new version of that yet.

Oh I see, my bad. I read it wrong.
Rappy

Postby Mazrim » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:17 am

I DL'd the first link on the how-to page (says "Contains most of the patch"). After applying it to the win32 filefolder per the instructions, my game's STILL in Japanese.

So I re-downloaded the translation patch, re-verified my game files on PSO2, re-applied the translation patch, ran the game and.......STILL in Japanese.

I think someone lied to me when they told me the patch works......
Mazrim

Postby Qwerty » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:03 am

After you applied the English patch, did the PSO2 launcher download anything when you ran it? If so, then there is an easy fix to that. If not, then you did something wrong.
Qwerty

Postby Mazrim » Mon Jul 01, 2013 3:39 am

Qwerty wrote:After you applied the English patch, did the PSO2 launcher download anything when you ran it? If so, then there is an easy fix to that. If not, then you did something wrong.

Well, the download panel DOES come up for like 2 seconds, and I see the bar starts at around 25%, but then it disappears before the progress bar ever even moves, so I figured that was normal.
Mazrim

Postby Qwerty » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:50 am

It's normal for the launcher to check 3 files every time it runs. If it checks anything more than that and then downloads stuff, then that is a different issue, but it doesn't sound like that is what you have.

So, it seems you did something wrong.

Try running the file check again, then reapply the patch files, making sure that they overwrite and replace the original files. If that still doesn't work, then maybe you do have the other issue, which can be fixed by bypassing the launcher when starting the game.
Qwerty

Postby Mazrim » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:55 am

I've re-verified the files (second button on the launcher underneath the "play game" button), and it says "Your files are up to date" or something like that. Re-applied the patch, launched, and still exact same thing.

The download panel only flashes for a moment, checking the 3 files you mentioned. But the patch doesn't work at ALL.

Why does it work on others' systems but not mine?

**EDIT**: On a hunch, I looked into the files that were to be replaced, and noticed the date modified as 6-30-13 @ 7:10PM. So after extracting the new patch files, I should see a new modified date of either 6-26-13 (the date the files were created), or the current date and time according to my system clock. When I choose to extract, whether manually or by sending the .rar file to the actual destination site and hitting "extract here", the files DO NOT update, indicating that for some reason, the PSO2 file folder is preventing any modification of any of the files contained. This occurs whether or not the read only attribute is selected in the SEGA file's properties. WTH?

**EDIT#2**: Un-checking the read only box in properties doesn't work, as once you click on apply then ok after windows supposedly applies the new selection to every subfile and folder, the ENTIRE FOLDER reverts back to read only.

Seriously, I'm tempted to take a fucking sledgehammer and a gallon of gasoline to this piece of garbage.
Mazrim

Postby Qwerty » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:30 pm

Ah, that. I believe that issue occurs when you have UAC enabled or something. I believe you need to run whichever program you are using to extract the .rar as administrator. Maybe. I'm not sure, as I've had UAC turned off for ages.

But here's an easier solution: Create another folder elsewhere (Documents or really anywhere other than a Program Files directory), extract the .rar there, then copy/paste the extracted files into PSO2's directory. It's one extra step, but it takes like 5 seconds, and it makes it much easier to see what is going on.
Qwerty

Next

Return to PSO2 Patch