OBSOLETED

I'm sure PSO2 will get a US version some time this century. Meanwhile there is a patch and this is the forum where you can discuss it and get help with issues.

Re: Story Patch ver 0.2 Discussion/Bug Report Thread

Postby Qwerty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:45 am

Fair enough. I probably should have been providing more of a rationale for my changes with my previous posts...

And the whole yelling at people thing, you'll quickly learn this about me: I tend to get a bit over-animated about things when I don't really mean to.

Anyway, PMing gmail momentarily. The whole involuntary beta-tester thing is...well, I guess it's fine, since distributing the patch hasn't proved too difficult.

So, here's some rationale behind my edits/revisions/localizations/whatevers:

• Gettemhart-sama: These became "Master Gettemhart" or, occasionally, just "Master". Melphonsina seems to be a willing slave of sorts to Gettemhart, so it pans out.
  • Melphonsina: There is a minor planetoid named "Alphonsina" and, given the pattern of other NPC names, that is probably where her name comes from. The main patch has been calling her this. Now, Japanese doesn't really have a "si" sound (only a "shi"), so Gettemhart calls her "Shina". I went with "Sheena", since it's just his nickname/pet name for her, and doesn't have to exactly match her actual name (for example, someone named John might go by Jack, or Margaret can go by Peggy). "Sheena" just looks better in English than "Shina" does, I think. Either would work, though.
  • Echo: I took some liberties with a few of her lines, but only to give her a bit more...character. I guess it's a cultural thing, but the way she just screams "Shut up!" any time she gets a bit of criticism from Zeno...it doesn't exactly make her a very likable character in my eyes. I know she's supposed to come across as a whiny, petulant child, but she's really one-dimensional. So I threw a bit of...valley-girl (for lack of a better way to describe it) into the mix. Hence, her response to Zeno saying he doesn't get on her case about being late goes from "Shut up!" to "But you totally do!" (and he does), and when Zeno suggests that she go home, she responds with an "As if!" ...Really, the more I type here, the less I understand the point I'm trying to make. I guess what I'm trying to say is that these were all just stylistic changes I made because they sounded better to me in English, but could be changed back without any real issue.
  • There are probably other things worth noting, but I don't remember any right now?
Qwerty

Postby ZER0 DX » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:42 am

I'd also have to agree with Qwerty on dropping most of the honorifics, unless it's one that can be translated into it's Enlglish equivalent well enough. Most, if not all, of the "chan, sama, bozu, desu, etc" suffixes are completely unnecessary and can be dropped entirely without consequence. I recall one of Sega's half-assed translations for an AotI story mission involving Curtz and Lumia which ended up turning an innocent "Lumia-chan" into the rather creepy sounding "Lumia dear."

Point is, it may work for some games like Persona 4 because it caters to a very specific demographic and Atlus just does it because they can. However, PSO2 is supposed to have a larger demographic appeal, and adding in honorifics that you cannot translate without making the entire phrase sound awkward (see above) are better off just completely dropped from the dialogue since not only does it really not add anything to what was being said, a lot of people may not understand what it means, and the use of them just generally sound stupid in English. You don't normally see people walking around yelling "That was awesome, *name*-chan!" unless they were a weeaboo or something. It's just not something that's used in the English language normally.

Edit: Before I get any "BUT HOW CAN PSO2 HAVE A LARGER DEMOGRAPHIC APPEAL IF IT'S JAPANESE ONLY!?" remarks, shut up. It's an online game that's easily accessible to anyone with half a brain, getting officially localized (supposedly), and people all over the world who are not from the game's country of origin are already playing it. That sounds like it has a rather large enough appeal to me.
ZER0 DX

Postby Kion » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:08 am

Echo: I took some liberties with a few of her lines, but only to give her a bit more...character. I guess it's a cultural thing, but the way she just screams "Shut up!" any time she gets a bit of criticism from Zeno...it doesn't exactly make her a very likable character in my eyes. I know she's supposed to come across as a whiny, petulant child, but she's really one-dimensional. So I threw a bit of...valley-girl (for lack of a better way to describe it) into the mix. Hence, her response to Zeno saying he doesn't get on her case about being late goes from "Shut up!" to "But you totally do!" (and he does), and when Zeno suggests that she go home, she responds with an "As if!" ...Really, the more I type here, the less I understand the point I'm trying to make. I guess what I'm trying to say is that these were all just stylistic changes I made because they sounded better to me in English, but could be changed back without any real issue.

Echo is a hard character to write for. She keeps Zeno in line by getting on his case. Zeno tries to protect her by running off and leaving here alone. They get mad at each other for their treatment of each other and yet respect each other for doing so as well.
Kion

Postby Qwerty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:30 am

Yeah, I understand the relationship they have. It's just that Echo is pretty boring.

Anyway, gonna start working on the googledoc now that I have access. Going to start by doing Shion's stuff, then I'll fix the various errors that have been pointed out thus far.
Qwerty

Postby Kion » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:34 am

Okay, cool. That means I can focus on doing more translations. i'm almost done with Zeno and Echo scenes for the blue tables. I'll upload each character's section as a separate file on google docs as I finish with them.
Kion

Postby Qwerty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:39 am

Ok, I finished Shion's scenes (I think I got them all), as well as fixing all the issues Ezodagrom pointed out on PSOW (well, the ones that needed fixing), and making some minor alterations to my previous version.

The second half of Chapter 5 and the entirety of Chapter 7 on the googledoc still had your original version of the lines, so I went ahead and put my revision back in.

I guess the Matoi/whoever scenes at the end of the document are up next. And then all those event tablets in the first half of the document. It'll take a while...
Qwerty

Postby Kion » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:18 am

Which means i probably messed it up when i released the patch. still no hurry tho. I think next time sega does an update on feb 6th, or when ever the patch has to be recompiled is when I want to put up version 0.21 (this same patch just with fixes) and then version 0.3 in three weeks when I'm done with all of the blue tablet events.
Kion

Postby ezodagrom » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:55 pm

Qwerty wrote:Echo: I took some liberties with a few of her lines, but only to give her a bit more...character. [...] I guess what I'm trying to say is that these were all just stylistic changes I made because they sounded better to me in English, but could be changed back without any real issue.

I think that taking liberties with the character lines, doing stylistic changes is fine, but I also think that the changes should match the way the characters speak their lines. ^^;

EDIT: In parts where a character says something really specific though (like Echo telling Zeno to shut up), stylistic changes will just make the line not sound right.
Even if in text the line sounds good, when watching the scene, seeing the character say one thing while the translated line has a different tone, it just doesn't sound right to me (wonder if I'm the only one who feels like this though, if pointing out things like this is too annoying, I'll stop and just point out small things like typos or lack of/bad use of line breaks).

Anyway, I'm going to try to go through chapter 4 today, I guess I'll post about it here later.
ezodagrom

Postby No-Life » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:16 pm

"It rarely shows itself. Oh, maybe it has some other intention besides fighting Arks."
Whether this was on purpose or a real typo. I'll leave it up to you. Conversation in B-4 of Matter Board 2.

"How many times must I say it? It's this way, we've been past here twice already!"
The word "twice" is missing its "e". Would also be efficient if there's a spoiler tag enabled. Conversation in C-5 of Matter Board 2.

That's all I can spot typos for now.
No-Life

Postby Qwerty » Thu Jan 31, 2013 5:31 pm

Oh, notes on the stuff I worked on last night:

Shion: I left her "I and we" thing alone. I guess it's not too terrible, and there really is no other way to do it. I ended up writing her saying "And yet," quite often. Seemed to fit her slightly conflicted manner of speaking more than simple "however"s and "but"s.

Claris Claes: I changed all her "peon"s to "scrub"s. She repeats the word so often, there's just no good way to to translate "low person on the totem pole" without it sounding really awkward the fifth time she says it in the same breath.

Gettemhart: He now calls you a pantywaist instead of a bitch.
Qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to PSO2 Patch