OBSOLETED

I'm sure PSO2 will get a US version some time this century. Meanwhile there is a patch and this is the forum where you can discuss it and get help with issues.

Re: Story Patch ver 0.45 Discussion/Bug Report Thread

Postby sesheron » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:57 pm

That wasn't condescending. Some people are just lazy and need a kick in the pants. Oh and ungrateful. It's not like he is charging you for a MASSIVE patch to help understand a FREE TO PLAY game in another language.
sesheron

Postby Maenara » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:11 pm

Maronji wrote:
tl;dr: Unless you're offering to help him with the website or record Matter Board 10, might I suggest that you just deal with it?

I actually can do web design. That's sort of the reason as to why I'm wondering why the website has gone through at least 3 or 4 redesigns, each with successively less information than the last.
sesheron wrote:That wasn't condescending. Some people are just lazy and need a kick in the pants. Oh and ungrateful. It's not like he is charging you for a MASSIVE patch to help understand a FREE TO PLAY game in another language.

From your description of his work, there's obviously no way someone like him would have time to play with the website as much as it has. Obviously, someone else on his (decently sized, from the Credits on arks-layer that's the only detailed info on the site) team is in charge of the website, and they're not making good design decisions.
I'm grateful for the patch. I'm not criticizing it. I'm criticizing the design choice of requiring users to already have knowledge of which sites to navigate to to find what they need to know, even for simple information.
Being grateful doesn't equate to being ignorant or oblivious to everything remotely related to the thing you're grateful for.
For a comparison, Google lets people test out dev builds of Google Chrome. Imagine there were somewhat frequent updates, each pumping out a bunch of new features everyone wants and already expects. Pretend you obtain these dev builds from a specific web page, but that web page does not list the version number, the last date updated, or any documentation on the new build, just a link to the twitter of a single coder of Google Chrome, who tweets about random things both related and unrelated to Google Chrome. Now imagine everyone finds out there's a new dev build available, and they're anticipating a new feature, so they download and try to use that new feature to test it out, but as it turns out, that feature is very incomplete and crashes their computer.
Maenara

Postby Rappy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 12:23 am

Maenara wrote:I actually can do web design. That's sort of the reason as to why I'm wondering why the website has gone through at least 3 or 4 redesigns, each with successively less information than the last.

Cause we are trying to find a good look for the site so it doesn't look like trash or unprofessional, or perhaps to our likings of how it looks(No offense to the previous looks of the site). Right now where it is at is pretty good look for a site to get translations out for the Story. However I do agree that it needs an update of information out on it. Something like Patch Notes would be good to toss on there.
Rappy

Postby AIDA » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:08 am

Maenara wrote:From your description of his work, there's obviously no way someone like him would have time to play with the website as much as it has. Obviously, someone else on his (decently sized, from the Credits on arks-layer that's the only detailed info on the site) team is in charge of the website, and they're not making good design decisions.
I'm grateful for the patch. I'm not criticizing it. I'm criticizing the design choice of requiring users to already have knowledge of which sites to navigate to to find what they need to know, even for simple information.
Being grateful doesn't equate to being ignorant or oblivious to everything remotely related to the thing you're grateful for.
For a comparison, Google lets people test out dev builds of Google Chrome. Imagine there were somewhat frequent updates, each pumping out a bunch of new features everyone wants and already expects. Pretend you obtain these dev builds from a specific web page, but that web page does not list the version number, the last date updated, or any documentation on the new build, just a link to the twitter of a single coder of Google Chrome, who tweets about random things both related and unrelated to Google Chrome. Now imagine everyone finds out there's a new dev build available, and they're anticipating a new feature, so they download and try to use that new feature to test it out, but as it turns out, that feature is very incomplete and crashes their computer.

Hi there! My name is AIDA, and that's actually (now) my team, Arks Layer. I understand your frustration, but let me address some of your issues:

A) We have jobs, girlfriends/boyfriends, and real life obligations. I'm sorry that we don't devote 100% of our time to working on a free patch that doesn't pay the bills.
B) Seriously, the file is named "New story patch 4-10.zip". If you can't discern the date from that... Well, you can draw your own conclusions on what I'd say about it.
C) The first post in the thread Maronji linked to on PSOW says "Chapters 1 - 9 are translated". RTFM.
D) Most of our members are tasked with editing, translating, or other various tasks. We don't have enough resources to devote to make our website nice and pretty.

We are in the middle of re-organizing and restructuring, so some of the features we should have (Like patch notes!) haven't made it to the board yet.

However, everyone is allowed their own opinion, and I value your opinion, regardless of whether I agree with it or not. I'll keep your thoughts in my mind as we move forward.
AIDA

Postby essen » Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:38 am

The real world has settled on dates of the form 20130410 for your information, which is both sortable and unmistakable. You can lookup the standard if you want. It's the short form of a datetime+timezone format.
essen
Site Admin

Postby Rappy » Sat Apr 27, 2013 3:34 pm

AIDA wrote:
Maenara wrote:From your description of his work, there's obviously no way someone like him would have time to play with the website as much as it has. Obviously, someone else on his (decently sized, from the Credits on arks-layer that's the only detailed info on the site) team is in charge of the website, and they're not making good design decisions.

Hi there! My name is AIDA, and that's actually (now) my team, Arks Layer. I understand your frustration, but let me address some of your issues:

A) We have jobs, girlfriends/boyfriends, and real life obligations. I'm sorry that we don't devote 100% of our time to working on a free patch that doesn't pay the bills.
B) Seriously, the file is named "New story patch 4-10.zip". If you can't discern the date from that... Well, you can draw your own conclusions on what I'd say about it.
C) The first post in the thread Maronji linked to on PSOW says "Chapters 1 - 9 are translated". RTFM.
D) Most of our members are tasked with editing, translating, or other various tasks. We don't have enough resources to devote to make our website nice and pretty.

We are in the middle of re-organizing and restructuring, so some of the features we should have (Like patch notes!) haven't made it to the board yet.

However, everyone is allowed their own opinion, and I value your opinion, regardless of whether I agree with it or not. I'll keep your thoughts in my mind as we move forward.

I never knew that was the date, but yeah as essen said. You should really display the date in a format that is.. Recognizable by the people who are using the patch
Rappy

Postby idolon » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:13 am

Rappy wrote:I never knew that was the date, but yeah as essen said. You should really display the date in a format that is.. Recognizable by the people who are using the patch

I had no trouble discerning that the date was April 10. I am also a user of the patch.

Also, I don't think essen was supporting your side of the argument. The standardized date format he posted is YYYYMMDD, while the format used in the patch filename is MM-DD, which uses the same ordering while omitting the year.
idolon

Postby Rappy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:16 am

idolon wrote:
Rappy wrote:I never knew that was the date, but yeah as essen said. You should really display the date in a format that is.. Recognizable by the people who are using the patch

I had no trouble discerning that the date was April 10. I am also a user of the patch.

Also, I don't think essen was supporting your side of the argument. The standardized date format he posted is YYYYMMDD, while the format used in the patch filename is MM-DD, which uses the same ordering while omitting the year.

Then AIDA shouldn't use the "-" since that usually means "through", instead AIDA should us "/" so it can be more recognizable as a date.
Rappy

Postby AIDA » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:45 am

Rappy wrote:
idolon wrote:

Then AIDA shouldn't use the "-" since that usually means "through", instead AIDA should us "/" so it can be more recognizable as a date.

Except that the "/" character *shouldn't* be used in Windows filenames - Some users might have issues with it.
AIDA

Postby Rappy » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:34 pm

AIDA wrote:Then AIDA shouldn't use the "-" since that usually means "through", instead AIDA should us "/" so it can be more recognizable as a date.

Then you could do what Agrajag did and use, "_" it'll be easier for people to make out the date.
Rappy

PreviousNext

Return to PSO2 Patch