Our Respective Tomorrows (Important patch news)

I'm sure PSO2 will get a US version some time this century. Meanwhile there is a patch and this is the forum where you can discuss it and get help with issues.

Re: Our Respective Tomorrows (Important patch news)

Postby Qwerty » Mon May 01, 2017 12:11 am

Finally, after all these years, the Phantasy Star community will be free of the harmful fanslations of EspioKaos.

Thanks for all the hard work and (online) friendship over the years, Espio and Agrajag. I hope you both stay in touch.

AIDA and pals: I need to know how best to contact you guys, so I can continue to recommend really terrible puns for translation stuff.
Qwerty

Postby AIDA » Mon May 01, 2017 1:51 am

Qwerty wrote:Finally, after all these years, the Phantasy Star community will be free of the harmful fanslations of EspioKaos.

Thanks for all the hard work and (online) friendship over the years, Espio and Agrajag. I hope you both stay in touch.

AIDA and pals: I need to know how best to contact you guys, so I can continue to recommend really terrible puns for translation stuff.

Sure thing o/
AIDA

Postby Shina » Mon May 01, 2017 12:20 pm

So, does this mean I'll have to use Tweaker?
Shina

Postby AIDA » Mon May 01, 2017 5:00 pm

At the moment, yes. This may change in the future depending on technical advancements.
AIDA

Postby houraisan » Mon May 01, 2017 9:04 pm

AIDA wrote:At the moment, yes. This may change in the future depending on technical advancements.

Such as the ability to build patch files that you can place in your actual install? Like we've been doing for the past five years?

This isn't anything personal. I (and a few others I know) simply want nothing to do with the tweaker. I personally don't like any third-party addons that actually read/write anything to game memory, and last time I used it you couldn't opt-out of any of them.. it simply downloaded them and put them in a separate folder.

For two of my friends, the tweaker re-downloaded the entire game when it was updated a while back and they were told to find their PSO2 install again. The entire game. You also regularly push updates to the program because you keep trying to fix things that aren't broken, and when you push one update there's usually three or four right afterwards because it turns out you broke something and then are scrambling to re-fix it.

I just want to play the game with english menus. I don't need a glossy MSPaint interface telling me to download cool plugins so I can read the word "Monomate," I just want to translate the menus without any third-party memory editing going on.
houraisan

Postby Chikinface » Mon May 01, 2017 9:37 pm

Alrighty, you've made your point but this isn't the tweaker tech support/feedback thread so probably shouldn't continue this conversation here.
Chikinface

Postby AIDA » Mon May 01, 2017 10:11 pm

houraisan wrote:Such as the ability to build patch files that you can place in your actual install? Like we've been doing for the past five years?

Technical impossibilities aside, converting the new patch to the old one would make it at least a 5GB+ download (Think the large files archive, but many more files). This download would need to be updated weekly, fixed, checked for new updates, and all the current issues we had that prevented new translations from being done most of the time.

This isn't anything personal. I (and a few others I know) simply want nothing to do with the tweaker. I personally don't like any third-party addons that actually read/write anything to game memory, and last time I used it you couldn't opt-out of any of them.. it simply downloaded them and put them in a separate folder.

You have always been able to opt-out of using all the plugins. If you don't enable any plugins, nothing third party is loaded. It's always been this way.

For two of my friends, the tweaker re-downloaded the entire game when it was updated a while back and they were told to find their PSO2 install again. The entire game.

I'll be the first to admit the updating methods are not 100% perfect, but if the data was already downloaded, you would have just needed to repoint the Tweaker to it. Maybe it was the Tweaker's fault. Maybe it was an old bug. Maybe it was user error. I doubt we'll know now, nor does it really matter at this point.

You also regularly push updates to the program because you keep trying to fix things that aren't broken, and when you push one update there's usually three or four right afterwards because it turns out you broke something and then are scrambling to re-fix it.

This has happened once, perhaps twice over the years. This is normal for this kind of development. I don't have a large testing base with various versions of Windows/computers/languages/hard drives to test these things on, and sometimes things do slip by. I am only human. I push updates to the program to fix bugs and issues, and come out with new features. You don't have to update if you want to wait for a bit (or forever), it's optional.

I just want to play the game with english menus. I don't need a glossy MSPaint interface telling me to download cool plugins so I can read the word "Monomate," I just want to translate the menus without any third-party memory editing going on.

You claim it's not personal, then say things like this?

Chikinface wrote:Alrighty, you've made your point but this isn't the tweaker tech support/feedback thread so probably shouldn't continue this conversation here.

Agreed, and apologies for responding. I simply wanted to clear some things up.

EDIT: Based on feedback (such as this), we're trying to see if we can come up with a solution -right now- that works for everyone. We asked for time to look into it, but people took that as "it's never coming", so we've pushed things back to work on it now.
AIDA

Postby Agrajag » Tue May 02, 2017 1:55 am

Macman wrote:Hey maybe this means more work on Hope & Despair, hmm? :v

Hope & Despair would be the Japanese version.
Not going to lie, "every Tuesday has the potential to require you to drop everything" caused so much lost momentum early on.

Also that bit where the version of GameGuard in PSO2 crashed my computer pretty much every time I started the game. Had a bad habit of not saving my changes before launching PSO2, I lost so many notes.

Qwerty wrote:Finally, after all these years, the Phantasy Star community will be free of the harmful fanslations of EspioKaos.

Who knows, once it's not something resembling an obligation, I may even start playing again.

We'll never be truly free of the scourge of Espio's community-ruining fanslations until the whole thing is redone from scratch.
Agrajag

Postby ZER0 DX » Tue May 02, 2017 10:03 am

Agrajag wrote:Who knows, once it's not something resembling an obligation, I may even start playing again.

To be fair, it's rather hard to make PSO in any iteration not be an obligation of some sort. PSO2 just so happens to make "It's like a second job!" the focal point lately.
I still need your partner card by the way, I even have Espio's and I'm convinced he hasn't logged on to the game since the week it launched.

Also I need to join a Discord group or something with everyone eventually, I've been rather terrible at keeping in contact since PSU ended and that was ages ago.
ZER0 DX

Postby Mewn » Sun May 07, 2017 5:16 pm

I'm working on a full postmortem from my point of view, which will be pretty lengthy when published, but in the meantime I thought I should provide some summarised thoughts. Bear in mind that my involvement has been part-time for quite a while, I no longer really play PSO2 (and haven't played seriously in a while).

First is that the patch was successful beyond what I could have imagined and I'm pretty proud of that. I hoped for the patch to be a tool for those of us that wanted to play a better supported version of PSO2 but were put off by the language barrier. I didn't expect it to become the de facto way to play PSO2 for the English community. The work that has been put in by the team has been phenomenal and everyone deserves recognition - I don't have a full list of contributors to the patch and I don't want to list the people I do know because that would be unfair to the people I leave out, but seriously, everyone deserves the community's thanks for this.

Second is that the task was... monumental. There's a lot of stuff that is untranslated or takes time to translate. That's because it takes a long time to translate stuff and we by and large had to prioritise. It sucks, believe me, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist so it really bugged me, but that's the reality of the situation. We just never had the manpower and time to be as thorough as we would like if we wanted to keep on top of content updates.

Third is that I kinda wish our team and the story patch team pooled resources more. I don't really know why that wasn't the case, but it could have made things easier for all of us. The good news in that regard is now the patch is more or less completely under one team, so, hey.

Fourth is that I got a lot out of this project, personally. For me, as an amateur student of the art of localisation, working on this was a fascinating learning experience. I made some mistakes (Dark Vibrace is something I kinda regret, looking back I would have gone with Vibras most likely), but I stand by most of what I did and hope I did a decent job. I always aimed for a localisation-esque approach of not wanting to be too direct with translations, hence things like Shironia/Kuron instead of 'White/Black Territory' and the like.

If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll try to answer.
Mewn

PreviousNext

Return to PSO2 Patch