Chunks of untranslated text

I'm sure PSO2 will get a US version some time this century. Meanwhile there is a patch and this is the forum where you can discuss it and get help with issues.

Chunks of untranslated text

Postby Dart93 » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:55 pm

There's a lot of dialogue, items, menu options, cutscene subtitles, names etc. that remains untranslated. I was just curious as to whether there are any plans to translate them?
Dart93

Re: Chunks of untranslated text

Postby Qwerty » Sat Jun 18, 2016 3:34 am

Of the things you listed, only menu options (and maybe names, if you mean NPC/Quest names) are within the scope of the patches we do here.

Care to specify what still needs to be translated?
Qwerty

Postby Dart93 » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Aren't cutscenes considered story? (something that is translated here.) Same goes for dialogue, which I find strange that a lot of is translated yet there are large parts early in the game which aren't translated/patched (for example the parts right at the beginning when starting as a Deuman.) Also I've noticed some of the storyboard text hasn't been translated either.

There are other things which I'm pretty sure do get patched here that aren't, as I've seen them in English in other parts of the game. But the things I mentioned are the main parts that bothers me, simply because I like to know what's going on in the story and what I'm doing/supposed to be doing in-game.
Dart93

Postby Kane » Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:45 pm

This what I felt like the idea of getting new players into the game but being discouraged by a lot of the most basics. Like Afin is our partner in a sense. Yet a lot of things he says or tuts around him are not in English.

There is a guy at the cake right now not translated and needed to take on missions. It be nice even having a English name. This is why I want to learn the basics and do it myself.
Kane

Postby Agrajag » Sun Jun 19, 2016 3:32 am

We mainly just handle the so-called "main" patch here. That means generally names (except items!), locations, and various menus--all the things you need to play the game, very few of the things you need to understand what's actually going on in it.

AIDA is in charge of the story and item patches. If it's part of a cutscene, 90% odds it's one of theirs. That said, if anyone's interested in translating all 1500 or so client orders, I'm all ears, but even the people working their way through the story text are hesitant to pick that up.

There are a lot of things that have been done in the past that have not been carried forward. Several of them were done in the initial patch 4 years ago (most of the translated quest descriptions are from that version), a few more received detailed attention later on (e.g AIDA got a group of people together for the NPC chatter, and a few times we've received packs of outfit names for the character creation menu from the item patch), but regardless of when they got done, most of them ended up being impractical to carry forward.

This translation was only supposed to last a few months, after all.
Agrajag

Postby Qwerty » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:49 am

Just to reiterate my previous point, if there are specific things in menus or NPC/Quest names that you find that still need to be translated, please post about it in the patch feedback thread so that we can address it. Most of us that work on the core patches don't really play the game much anymore, so we might not notice these things.

As for the cake man, I think you mean...Itsuki (think that's his name)? He's gone in two days, so he won't get fixed. Sorry.
Qwerty

Return to PSO2 Patch