Lol, Schthack.

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: Lol, Schthack.

Postby Macman » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:34 pm

Am I the only one who sees no reason for competition in Phantasy Star?
The whole "TA" scene just glazes over my eyes. Are people that desperate for attention they need to turn everything they participate in a giant dick-waving contest?
Given PSU's tendency to have 90% of the quests on the clock, I guess so.
User avatar
Macman
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:50 pm

Re: Lol, Schthack.

Postby Vashyron » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 pm

My opinion on the matter is "serious" competition in a game filled with a ton of random variables = Derp.
User avatar
Vashyron
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:19 am

Re: Lol, Schthack.

Postby GAMA » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:10 pm

you are aware that when pso2 comes out, that server will probably die.

if not it will be less populated.
GAMA
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Lol, Schthack.

Postby LightDark » Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:34 pm

GAMA wrote:you are aware that when pso2 comes out, that server will probably die.

if not it will be less populated.

Hard to tell, to say the least. Won't know until PSO2 officially comes out and pass its testing phase.
User avatar
LightDark
 
Posts: 173
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 10:03 am

Re: Lol, Schthack.

Postby essen » Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:13 pm

Macman wrote:Are people that desperate for attention they need to turn everything they participate in a giant dick-waving contest?

You are a moron. Why would TA be any different than running or cycling or car racing? Almost no one does it for attention, and almost no one actually gets attention. The reasons for doing TA are not even remotely related to getting attention. Competition is about overcoming your limits, which is actually something very fulfilling and very fun at the same time.

As for TA in PSU specifically, it's also a lot of adrenaline running a mission fast because of all the things that could go wrong if you didn't plan properly, or if something unexpected happens. And unexpected things always happen, because the enemy AI is sometimes random. This is a *good* thing, because it makes it more real. Do you think runners in real life always run in the same conditions? They don't, the weather, temperature, even the field changes. You don't run as fast if you have the wind in your face. The illusion that TA with 0 randomness is a good thing only comes from people seeking for attention, because then TA becomes mechanical. But that's only what the TA people looking for attention would want.

One thing we do need to cut off though is the annoying 3 variations that each missions have because canceling is annoying.
User avatar
essen
Site Admin
 
Posts: 299
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:05 am

Re: Lol, Schthack.

Postby Sakarisei » Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:23 pm

LightDark wrote:
GAMA wrote:you are aware that when pso2 comes out, that server will probably die.

if not it will be less populated.

Hard to tell, to say the least. Won't know until PSO2 officially comes out and pass its testing phase.


Not... not why because almost no one have played the alpha test version so... please, wait.

I know perfectly pso2 is a f2p so means lots of ppl will go to the game directly. However, i prefer to seeing EGS completed than being cancelled for PSO2... and this is not a good experience for no one of the staff...

Greetings.
Sakarisei
 
Posts: 95
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:15 pm

Re: Lol, Schthack.

Postby Vashyron » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:04 am

essen wrote:
Macman wrote:Are people that desperate for attention they need to turn everything they participate in a giant dick-waving contest?

You are a moron. Why would TA be any different than running or cycling or car racing? Almost no one does it for attention, and almost no one actually gets attention. The reasons for doing TA are not even remotely related to getting attention. Competition is about overcoming your limits, which is actually something very fulfilling and very fun at the same time.

As for TA in PSU specifically, it's also a lot of adrenaline running a mission fast because of all the things that could go wrong if you didn't plan properly, or if something unexpected happens. And unexpected things always happen, because the enemy AI is sometimes random. This is a *good* thing, because it makes it more real. Do you think runners in real life always run in the same conditions? They don't, the weather, temperature, even the field changes. You don't run as fast if you have the wind in your face. The illusion that TA with 0 randomness is a good thing only comes from people seeking for attention, because then TA becomes mechanical. But that's only what the TA people looking for attention would want.

One thing we do need to cut off though is the annoying 3 variations that each missions have because canceling is annoying.


Except you know this is a virtual game, a lot of people actually like to turn them into a method of showing off however they can.

Everything isn't as what you personally see it as, the last game I played that was TA heavy was Trackmania 2.
Essentially 0 Variance Multiplayer TA, except for the players actual skill and knowledge of the current map. A game actually meant for Time Attacking and when I played was good competitive fun, I wasn't in it to show off and most people that I visibly saw weren't either, if any were they didn't have that magnificent elitist attitude. On the other hand I look at the Phantasy Star Online/Universe series, elitists everywhere despite the game's main point being cooperation.

Not sure on the concrete details about PSU on Egs, but on "Official" I just see it as trying to shoehorn something that doesn't belong. Prerequisites and Random Variables everywhere when in a virtual game there doesn't have to be.
Here is probably a well known example, there is a reason why the "competitive" scene for Smash Bros turn off items.

If your doing it for good personal fun, that's all and well good, but really don't ignore that there are people everywhere that do it for the "dick waving."



Anyway on more Schthack hilarity. http://schtserv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=72632
Antihack.dll that detects strings such as "cheats" "trainer" and other nonsense, closes both PSOBB and the offending program.

As you can see it worked out great. Wouldn't be surprised if it gets removed, but of course using the scapegoat of "lololol april fooolz xd."
User avatar
Vashyron
 
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:19 am

Re: Lol, Schthack.

Postby Chikinface » Sun Apr 01, 2012 12:33 am

The random variation as exists in PSU makes TA'ing inconveniant, but not impossible obviously. The intention last I was aware is to have seperate ranks for TA which would be a static map with pre-set spawns (+ other differences).
However, of course even then there will be the odd bit of randomness which could affect times.. Like any other time attack mode, knowing the elements of the game is going to help. Things like the course and spawns, what weapons to use where, when to SUV and so on. These would all contribute to a better time and would over-come most of the randomness, to the point where it's negligable I'm sure.
Personally, I'm not worried by people measuring their e-cocks in an MMORPG. The genre is pretty much engineered around it..

In any case, yes, back on topic, that anti-cheat mechanism is hilarious.
User avatar
Chikinface
 
Posts: 337
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:18 am

Re: Lol, Schthack.

Postby GAMA » Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:01 am

Sakarisei wrote:
LightDark wrote:
GAMA wrote:you are aware that when pso2 comes out, that server will probably die.

if not it will be less populated.

Hard to tell, to say the least. Won't know until PSO2 officially comes out and pass its testing phase.


Not... not why because almost no one have played the alpha test version so... please, wait.

I know perfectly pso2 is a f2p so means lots of ppl will go to the game directly. However, i prefer to seeing EGS completed than being cancelled for PSO2... and this is not a good experience for no one of the staff...

Greetings.


i meant psobb :)
GAMA
 
Posts: 32
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Lol, Schthack.

Postby Macman » Sun Apr 01, 2012 4:50 am

essen wrote:Almost no one does it for attention, and almost no one actually gets attention.
Forum elitists say otherwise.
TA is fun for personal competition (Can I beat my best time? Etc, etc), but people often twist it into this perverted form of competition with leaderboards. Then it leaks into non-TA gameplay where if you aren't using this specific set of gear meant to obliterate this specific set of spawns in the fastest way possible, you're called a bad player. That's where my concern lies.

There's no need for personal insults, Essen.
User avatar
Macman
 
Posts: 223
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:50 pm

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests

cron