EGS Feedback Thread

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: EGS Feedback Thread

Postby Qwerty » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:26 am

Oh well yeah.
Qwerty

Postby Sakarisei » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:47 am

LightDark wrote:
Regarding synthesis, it's going to be completely different.

I meant the synthesis material drops should still only be area specific (i.e. Neu Walna should still only drop from Neudaiz).

Obviously! It's very awful seeing a Par Oak in Moatoob :S

About scape dolls. And why don't you create some missions with no scape dolls restrictions? I remember this on my simple week in online mode...
Sakarisei

Postby LightDark » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:16 am

Raujinn wrote:I of course am referring to GRM, Tenora Works and The Yohmei Corporation.

It would be nice if the differences they offered for their core weapon lines had tangible effects in game. I'm not entirely certain as to what, though.
Sega's original idea is of course to grant GRM weapons more precision, but that's unapplicable in the system we've proposed for stats so far. Tenora was the raw power company, which due to the way PSU was balanced kind of made it the best company. Yohmei was all about stable reactors with large amounts of energy storage capacity. Note that I think this should only affect thier core weapon lines, other weapons by the companies could just ignore this (idk, companies like to try different things sometimes? Copying the competition? A random stupid idea of theirs?). The company variations could change between weapon types I guess?
This could pidgeon-hole their use, but is that such a bad thing with weapons though? I want to try to avoid a one-size fits all situation if possible still.

It goes without saying that it is necessary to avoid what is PSO's equivalent Tsumikiri J-Sword or Black King Bar and subsequently, much of PSOBB's items. The difference between the companies as they were somewhat helped avoid this situation, though no doubt it ended up with the same situation anyways for a couple of items.

As a player who likes playing around with different weapons and not worrying about stats, the three manufacturers help made this a pleasant experience as it was rare to be using two exact copies of a weapon in normal play. As said, a key factor in the three different manufacturers are the stat differences between each one of them. As such,

essen wrote:Or just have GRM do guns, Yohmei do techs and Moatoob do swords.

This can't be allowed, because how else will the weapons be distinguished from each other? That is, as an example, if two rods - Rod A and Rod B - are of C-rank, what's the point of having Rod A if Rod B has 3 extra PP and MST than Rod A?

The numerous amount of weapons in PSU make it possible to have differences between weapons and I would like to actually see that happen. One may argue that the lower rarity items may not mean anything later on and so would be pointless to deal with, but this shouldn't be the case - otherwise, it's just as bad as having the same higher rarity weapons being used at higher levels.

In short, what I'm saying is that while the weapons should be balanced, they should also be distinctive as well.
LightDark

Postby essen » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:34 am

I... have no idea why you think manufacturers are needed to have weapons showcase the same stats variations. A manufacturer is just a label, you could have all the official weapons be GRM with the same stats as on official and it wouldn't change a thing for you.
essen
Site Admin

Postby LightDark » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:04 pm

essen wrote:I... have no idea why you think manufacturers are needed to have weapons showcase the same stats variations. A manufacturer is just a label, you could have all the official weapons be GRM with the same stats as on official and it wouldn't change a thing for you.

Mostly out of uniqueness I suppose. Basically, what I don't want is "this weapon is the ultimate GRM weapon" or "this weapon is the highest class Yohmei weapon" or "this weapon is the final Moatoob weapon after hard years of work", etc etc. When I say to keep the manufacturers separate, I'm essentially saying that there should be no such thing as an "end game" weapon of any type from any of the manufacturers (and this also includes Kubara too).

The stats are what ultimately differentiates each weapon but I want to make it clear that among the group of weapons for each weapon type, there should be a degree of originality for each one as well besides just looks - basically, to keep what the manufacturers intended but re-balanced. If that is what you are going for, then okay.
LightDark

Postby LightDark » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:29 am

Raujinn wrote:To go along with this, character level should be taken into account when calculating PA exp. It should take longer for lower level characters to raise PAs than higher level characters. Reasons for this are lowbies can get away with underlevelled PAs and higher level characters are hindered more severely by taking on new PAs. The only potential downside to this is that players could use higher level characters to grind PAs to then pass on to lowbie alts, but personally I have no issue with this as it requires a player to have gotten a character to a high level in the first place.

Regardless of method, it won't be possible to prevent players from having high-level Photon Arts on low-level characters; well, you can but that's a different story. As for the issue on hand, at minimum, the player should not be able to sell nor trade Photon Art disks to other players; this is a necessity because this conflicts the idea of leveling Photon Arts. The leveling idea should be kept instead of Photon Art disk drops with different levels, solely because Photon Arts should be based on progression instead of instant usage if requirements were met like they were with PSO's technique disks and they should also be only leveled on a personal basis and not from the aid of others giving them high level disks.

A player should be able to level the disks at a moderate rate, but just as important is how this will affect the tides of combat for missions. That is to say, as an example, if a player who is Lv20 is able to clear missions that were meant for Lv40 characters thanks to enhanced Photon Art leveling, then there is probably something wrong there. Probably. Balancing Photon Arts is a different concern that needs to be looked at separately, but it is an issue that looms over closely after the leveling issue.

Qwerty wrote:- Maybe use PA Fragments and/or some other items in an exchange mission that lets you quickly add experience to PAs that you already know.

I do like this idea, as it helps level the Photon Arts faster by choice, which is something that will be needed.
LightDark

Postby Sakarisei » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:12 pm

A very nice about PA Disks, for preventing twinks is just not able to keep on the common bank, not only forbidding trade or sell PA Disks...

This must be enough for the problem.

LightDark wrote:
Qwerty wrote:- Maybe use PA Fragments and/or some other items in an exchange mission that lets you quickly add experience to PAs that you already know.

I do like this idea, as it helps level the Photon Arts faster by choice, which is something that will be needed.

+1. It helps a lot to people who haven't got enough time to play PSU.
Sakarisei

Postby Macman » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:04 pm

I REALLY like the idea of making character level affect PA EXP acquisition. Just getting that out there.
As far as twinking low level characters with high level disks, I think it shouldn't matter as much. Low level characters usually start with low-end weapons with low PP capacity, and high level PAs are going to eat up that PP like popcorn.
Make Disks unable to be traded or sold in player ships like the original game, though.
Macman

Postby xKasuka1 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 12:09 am

How many servers are there going to be? And are the server names decided?
- It's True
xKasuka1

Postby Raidus » Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:14 am

Ok, new to the forum, but after a good chunk of reading current/old threads, I figured I'd add my input here as well.

1. Racial Balancing

Ok, on this, I've seen a few viable ideas on that, so I'll comment as such.

1. Same except skins
Okay, balance wise, that's the best choice, since that effectively takes away the 'x race is best as x class' thing. But at the same time, it takes away some of the diversity it created.

2. Just reduce the differences
This one would be a decent idea, but there's still the issue of the SUV's/Nanoblasts, with no Human/Newman versions, still leaving them at a bit of a disadvantage.

3. Same stats, but different bonuses.
Now this one, it sounds good in theory, but would require a good deal of tinkering to actually balance, since the difference still somewhat pigeon hole a bit. I don't recall ALL of the differences off the top of my head, and don't have the page up, so I'll just mention a couple:
Beasts getting an extra target on hits: This one is fairly unbalanced in itself. The problem lies in the fact that they would essentially be able to do up to twice the damage of any other race since they can, if using single target attacks, kill packs twice as fast by hitting 2 instead of one, giving them an edge there.
Casts getting more range: This is more of a niche boost, and not nearly as useful as the beast ability. Sure, they can hit them farther away, but the beasts' just need to walk another few steps and that effectively nulls the Casts' difference.
Newmans getting an increased invincibility through their whole combo after a just counter/whatever: Okay, if used right, that would be broken as all hell, plain and simple. Depending on how that's implemented, if the player had proper timing, they could effectively go through fights completely untouched. They could be the best hunters, if only from this.
Humans: I forget what they got. Something about better SE's or something. Seemed less spectacular at first glance, so I don't remember at the moment.

As far as weapons/companies/etc:

I see no reason to have it so that each company simply does one weapon type (moa - melee, neu - staffs, etc). I would like to see their stats be adjusted accordingly, yes, and have the differences matter a bit more, so that there's more of a point to there being multiple brands though, so that you can use them differently based on your style. (one with higher atp/less pp, one with lower atp/more pp, then a mid with higher pp regen or more ata was a decent sounding one)

Item drops:

Okay, my main points on this are:

I wholly agree with: Section ID's? Never Ever Again.

Drop charts: Having items showing up when they can be used/slightly before/after (scaling, simply) would be great. No 'good I'm L80, now I can get my L40 gear' and such. I personally like the idea of: area wide drops + mob specific drops + class specific drops. It still allows for variety, but you are more likely to get stuff you can actually put to use, rather than my curse on psobb where as a hunter, I get tons of Force/Ranger gear, and also female only gear as a male (I'm looking at you, Lady Swan and Valkyrie...). Also, the 'bosses have a loot box at the end, so all people get their own loot' idea, this I support. I've played enough psobb that there's always: 1. mad dash for the drop location 2. people who spend the WHOLE fight standing on the drop point for when it dies. The box + individual loot eliminates that, and makes things more fair (also, each person could have their own rng'd loot, so one person could get x loot, while another gets y loot).

And also, as far as crafting and %'s:
1. Finding piles of useless boards for weapons I can find/buy, annoying, and a waste. I like the 'use them to upgrade/alter gear' idea.

2. The sheer amount of different materials was kind of ridiculous at times, I agree.

3. Now, I hadn't realized the sheer difference that percents made on there, but yeah, that would need to be revamped/scaled down/altered/thrown out, or something.

Okay, I'm pretty sure I had other points, but I can't recall them at the moment, so I'll likely post them at a later time, if/when I remember them.
Raidus

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding