EGS Feedback Thread

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: EGS Feedback Thread

Postby Jovi » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:32 am

I wasn't particularly clear in my wordings above, so maybe I can clarify some things about the hotspots....

Firstly, there's no reason these hotspot "events" need to be back-to-back. In fact, they probably shouldn't. Something like they're only around on the first week of each month would work better. (If you wanted to get crazy, each day of that week could have a new set of hotspots to ensure people are really moving around and not sitting in one spot all the time.) Maybe just the first and third weekends of every month would have a hotspot event. Whatever it is, it should be occasional, but—unlike the official events and GBR—you could better count on them to be there on time.

Secondly, every mission would eventually be a hotspot at least once during the cycle (yes, even White Beast if it exists on EGS), possibly more. At any rate, if one mission gets the bonus twice, every mission should. Nothing should be left out.

Thirdly, there should always be multiple hotspots during any "event." If Mission A gives out bonus EXP, Mission B gives bonus PA EXP, Mission C has increased drop rate, and Mission D gives bonus MP, which one is the one you "should" be playing? Probably one of those, but it still gets people to spread out a bit and choose what works best for their current goals.

On the official servers events "limited" mission selection as well, but a lot of people seemed to enjoy them (until they hit week 2, had stupid login problems, etc.). The hotspots idea is mostly to create a simple event-like aspect without having to go all out with it. It would be predictable, yet wouldn't give out so much of a boost that playing the game without the bonuses was a total waste of time. It's also about bringing people together to run missions they might not have run otherwise or play with people they might not have ever met. It gets people out of the woodwork and into each others' line of sight and gives you a bit of a bonus for doing so.
Jovi

Postby Cisce » Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:10 am

On the subject of Scape Dolls: It wouldn't be such a massive issue to have a lower number of around 1-3 max if you didn't have missions where you had automatic failure if you lacked a scape.

Because, honestly that's a horrible design scheme. Only storyline missions and a couple of event missions did it but I feel like even SEGA themselves realized how stupid of an idea it was so I imagine if these missions are going onto the server: It should be dropped, possibly for Story missions unless there's a way to get around it by having an NPC using a Moon Atomizer or your character just respawning earlier on.

Of course, this could mess up event flags.
Cisce

Postby Qwerty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:01 pm

The better way to handle that is how Ohtori Encampment does it. If you die, someone has to revive you almost immediately or you are removed from the mission area and the party has to continue without you.
Qwerty

Postby LightDark » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:58 pm

Qwerty wrote:The better way to handle that is how Ohtori Encampment does it. If you die, someone has to revive you almost immediately or you are removed from the mission area and the party has to continue without you.

That's essentially the same thing as dying without Scape Dolls and mission ending, except with a slight time window for revival and the burden of being unable to play (be part of the mission) while your party does. Though excellent as Special or Event Missions, it is not a great way to handle incapacitated people for normal Free Missions or Story Missions.

On the subject of Scape Dolls: It wouldn't be such a massive issue to have a lower number of around 1-3 max if you didn't have missions where you had automatic failure if you lacked a scape.

storyline missions

Story Missions didn't allow usage of Scape Dolls at all - it was either you live until the end or you become incapacitated and mission ends right then and there (even if you did have a Scape Doll in your inventory).

For Story Missions, you should be able to use your Scape Dolls but if you don't have anymore, then terminate the mission right then and there. It's perfectly reasonable, particularly since you are soloing anyways and there is no one around to help you; it was only unreasonable when the mission abruptly ended after a player dies despite them having Scape Dolls to use.
LightDark

Postby Qwerty » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:32 pm

LightDark wrote:
Qwerty wrote:The better way to handle that is how Ohtori Encampment does it. If you die, someone has to revive you almost immediately or you are removed from the mission area and the party has to continue without you.

That's essentially the same thing as dying without Scape Dolls and mission ending, except with a slight time window for revival and the burden of being unable to play (be part of the mission) while your party does. Though excellent as Special or Event Missions, it is not a great way to handle incapacitated people for normal Free Missions or Story Missions.
Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant that we should use this system for challenging/party missions like Bruce instead of the "die once and everyone loses" paradigm.
Qwerty

Postby LightDark » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:36 am

essen wrote:* All missions should have clear boxes (no distinction between boss and clear boxes). The rewards in these boxes should be defined per mission. They should not be too many clear boxes, maybe 4 boxes per 10 minutes needed to complete the run.

I can understand the no distinction between boss and clear boxes; what I don't understand is why there shouldn't be "too many clear boxes". What's the reasoning behind this?
LightDark

Postby Qwerty » Fri Mar 02, 2012 3:53 am

Ideally, each player will get his own 4 drops from the boxes, versus having to divide the drops between all party members. Few boxes with a decent chance of a nice drop is way better than dozens of boxes with terrible odds of getting a good rare.
Qwerty

Postby LightDark » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:45 am

Qwerty wrote:Ideally, each player will get his own 4 drops from the boxes, versus having to divide the drops between all party members. Few boxes with a decent chance of a nice drop is way better than dozens of boxes with terrible odds of getting a good rare.

When you say each player getting their own drops, does that mean in a similar fashion to PSZ (except just one item per box) and I guess what it looks like, PSP2/I as well?

If so, then 4 boxes sound reasonable - however, what matters more are the contents that will be in the clear boxes. Moreover, I support the idea of area specific drops still as laid out in PSU (specifically the synthesis materials which should remain untouched) and this too should be applied to the clear boxes.
LightDark

Postby Qwerty » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:00 am

Like PSO2, if we can swing it. Each person will see his own drops, which are his alone.

Regarding synthesis, it's going to be completely different. The synthesis system will probably be used only to upgrade weapons. Instead of turning in an Ank Gearz and a couple biomats in an exchange mission to get an Ank Foil, you'll have a [B] Ank Foil where you'll insert an Ank Gearz and a couple biomats.
Qwerty

Postby LightDark » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:21 am

Qwerty wrote:Each person will see his own drops, which are his alone.

So like PSZ and PSP2/I in concept essentially.

Regarding synthesis, it's going to be completely different.

I meant the synthesis material drops should still only be area specific (i.e. Neu Walna should still only drop from Neudaiz).
LightDark

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding