EGS Feedback Thread

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: EGS Feedback Thread

Postby Mewn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:37 am

I actually didn't mind the idea behind Section IDs - they were just horribly executed. No info in-game on them, no obvious means of controlling the ID, IDs themselves were extremely poorly balanced (hi Pinkal), no means to change ID if you dun goofed etc. etc.

I'll write up a proper post in the EGS Project forum when I have time: just for the record, the 'enemy drops changing by area' thing in PSP2i is exclusive to Infinity missions, which use a completely different drop system from regular missions.
Mewn

Postby schlagwerk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:50 pm

Sharing my ideas on the EGS drop brainstorming:

I like the PSU drop style, but it needs to be rebalanced in general. Also reduce the number of trade-ins and make it so trade ins don't offer great elemental bonuses (or don't come with any at all) so they are for when you want a specific item for the look or for collecting over using it. Make enemies drop a better elemental range. (And here is where I get crazy) Keep synthing, but only for generic items and offer better elemental bonuses or increased chances at getting high elements from synthing.

So in short
-enemy drops have the widest range of items available and wide range of elements. The common way of getting items.
-trade missions offer specifically what you want, but without the best stats. The collector's way of getting items.
-synthing offers generic weapons with the best chance at the element/stats you want. The customizer's way of getting items.
schlagwerk

Postby Mewn » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:33 pm

The idea for synthesis currently being thrown around is to use it to upgrade weapons, sorta like PSU's + weapons and PSP2's extend codes. The upgrade boards would be readily available, not sure what we're doing with mats. I like the idea of downgrading weapons to A-rank to be able to use those as well, although there's probably some weapons this shouldn't apply to... who wants to see an A-rank Psycho Wand or Lavis Cannon?

I would also like to see synthesis be able to reroll or improve the % on an item. Basically I agree that synthesis should be customization, but basically that it should act on already existing items, not make them. The concept of gathering materials to make an item you could just find as a drop is rubbish imo.

On trade missions we should just cut back on those in general, and we should certainly reduce the insane amount of materials PSU has. I don't agree on the element thing though - in my view it should be the same as drops. For me it's all about alternate paths to power - drops offer RNG-based progression and trade-ins represent time/farming-based progression.
Mewn

Postby essen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:00 pm

I don't want trade missions, they're the most annoying thing to go through. Remember trading for Grinder Base S? Yeah it sucked.
essen
Site Admin

Postby Jovi » Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:44 pm

Here are a few of my thoughts. Feel free to pick them up, or pick them apart. Just throwing stuff at the wall to see if it sticks.

Item Drops

I don't have a whole lot to say about this, but I definitely like the idea of random boxes dropping only (or mostly) a certain type of item, like 'mates, scapes, and maybe a rare buff item or something.

I did want to say that, if it's possible, the three 'mates should be percentage-based instead of healing a fixed number. Monomates would heal 33% of your HP, Dimates would heal 66%, and Trimates, 100%. This way these items would be useful to EVERYONE. Of course changing it to be this way would probably mean you'd want to have a tighter restriction on how many a player could carry with them, and their prices would likely go up a bit too.

Scape Dolls

Definitely reduce how many one person can hold, or define the usage limit on a per-mission basis. Harder missions or missions with a lot of one-shotting enemies might be a bit more lenient on how many scapes you could use, while something simple, like Unsafe Passage would only allow you one or two uses per run.

Photon Arts

There seem to be two major camps for photon art leveling. The one side likes the PSU-style of being able to level up through usage, and the other prefers PSO-style where you randomly find pre-leveled discs. I, myself, prefer the PSU-style because I knew that I would eventually be able to reach max on every PA I had. With PSO, I had no idea. There was a chance that I would never find half of those discs. I can certainly understand the appeal of being able to get lucky and go from a level 5 Foie to a level 30 all at once, but in the end, the RNG killed it for me.

So I thought about it a bit and realized that both styles should just be fused if possible. Basically it would involve creating a new item (or items) that would work similarly to a rare candy; a PA Grinder, if you will. Preferably it would be an item that you could use on any PA to automatically raise it a level. You could have multiple versions (PA Grinder C, PA Grinder B, etc.) that add more levels to your PA per use and increasing in rarity and cost. Being able to level up your PAs through use would still exist, but would probably remain fairly slow to counteract the speed that PA Grinders would allow.

As for how you'd go about applying a PA Grinder to a PA, I'm not exactly sure. The first thing that comes to mind is synthing. Since synthing is most likely going to be repurposed into an upgrade mechanic, an upgrade to your PAs fits nicely into it, and would likely be less effort to implement.

Racial Balance

As someone who played as a female newman fortefighter, I'm all for the homogenizing of race (and gender) stats. That being said, I do like Agrajag's proposal for giving each race a unique aspect or two. Something more related to playstyle than straight up stat differences. Attack speeds, flinch resistance, range differences, number of enemies hit, etc. Preferably things that work no matter what class you are. I like difference in races going beyond the cosmetic, but only if it means I'm not being sub-standard by playing what I want.

Mission Hotspots

In my opinion, hotspots are good for the community. The majority of the people who were on my friend list were probably met from White Beast or one of the events and I'm sure a lot of you are in the same boat. This being said, a single hotspot that lasts forever (like WB) isn't good for the game. Assuming the mission difficulty-to-reward ratio is a bit more balanced on EGS, I propose an automated mission bonus rotation to create places for the community to gather without keeping them there for too long.

Essentially, it would mean that certain bonuses would be applied to missions; then removed and applied to a new mission or set of missions when time ran out--and preferably switched automatically by the server. Bonuses could include extra experience, mission points, drop rate, photon art experience, etc. To make sure that people are still spread out, a number of missions could be made into hotspots at a time (perhaps one per planet), each giving different bonuses so that players still had choices of what they feel they need the most of at the time. The amount of time that these mission bonuses would be applied could range from a single day to a whole month, however keeping the time short is probably preferable. The amount of bonus you'd get from these missions shouldn't be enough to totally detract from the other non-bonus missions available. I'd say somewhere from 15 to 30% bonus. It's not really a necessary addition, but would be a nice replacement for things like GBR and the various official events.

Mewn wrote:For me it's all about alternate paths to power - drops offer RNG-based progression and trade-ins represent time/farming-based progression.

I have to agree with Essen here. Trade missions are no good. Sure, they represent time/farming-based progression, but so does buying really expensive items in NPC shops, and that's a much more streamlined way to handle it in my opinion.
Jovi

Postby LightDark » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:36 pm

Mewn wrote:The idea for synthesis currently being thrown around is to use it to upgrade weapons, sorta like PSU's + weapons and PSP2's extend codes. The upgrade boards would be readily available, not sure what we're doing with mats. I like the idea of downgrading weapons to A-rank to be able to use those as well, although there's probably some weapons this shouldn't apply to... who wants to see an A-rank Psycho Wand or Lavis Cannon?

I don't see the necessity for downgrading the ranks for weapons - there is nothing wrong with the ranks for each one as they are now.

Mewn wrote:On trade missions we should just cut back on those in general, and we should certainly reduce the insane amount of materials PSU has. I don't agree on the element thing though - in my view it should be the same as drops. For me it's all about alternate paths to power - drops offer RNG-based progression and trade-ins represent time/farming-based progression.

Jovi wrote:I have to agree with Essen here. Trade missions are no good. Sure, they represent time/farming-based progression, but so does buying really expensive items in NPC shops, and that's a much more streamlined way to handle it in my opinion.

There are limitations to what NPC shops should be able to sell and there should also be restraints on being able to obtain certain items in order to control the overabundance of certain items that will arise as the server lives longer. There should be more ways for obtaining items other than from a) enemy drops, b) buying them from NPC shops, and c) buying them from other player shops. As such, exchange missions should definitely be used at some level, though there certainly should be fewer of them as well.
LightDark

Postby Cisce » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:41 pm

Exchange missions are okay if used in moderation and if they don't promote a large amount of grinding to get an item that isn't worth it. For example: If we have an event on the server, I'm completely fine with having an exchange mission. They should be cut down though, in my opinion.

And we need some way to stop the economy from overinflating: PSU had this problem where because there was no kind of moneysink in the game people had a large amount of money and would sell incredibly rare items for an incredibly high amount of Meseta. There's nothing wrong with this, but what's wrong is when the playerbase can actually afford these items because other than armor/items/clothes/character customization/room items there is no real kind of money sink in the game making people have far more money than they could actually handle.

I believe this started close to the end of the life of vanilla PSU when the amount of Meseta that was dropped was dramatically increased. There's a couple of ways to fix this issue:

1. Lower down the amount of meseta obtained and address this in AOTI.
2. Add a form of timesink into the game to stop people having too much excess meseta
3. As suggested by Mewn on IRC, if we're using Synthesis to upgrade/downgrade weapons we have a possible moneysink there.
4. Leave the game as it is, it'd just result in the same overinflated economy we have on the Japanese and US Xbox 360 versions of the game.
Cisce

Postby Rikku » Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:28 am

I believe we should have PSP:2's drop system, axe the trading system completely, and lower the amount of meseta per drop to avoid inflation ...

Would it be bad to have all PAs available in the shop from the get-go? For reasonable prices, that is. I would like to have arts leveled as they were in PSU.
Rikku

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:58 am

If we keep the PAs leveling system the same get rid of that stupid mission where people would afk bullet level (that's all I really care about for PAs). Also I think scape dolls should be limit 1 per person but you can still carry a certain amount of Moons, so not everyone is just not running missions alone like a depressed child.

Also I barely skimmed though everyone's idea so sorry I missed some but I like Jovi's idea of mission hotspots so people can gather together. Just never at White Beast...
Nobody

Postby Vashyron » Thu Mar 01, 2012 5:19 am

Yeah. I'd like to see Scapes limited to 1. Instead of raising this due to "bullshit deaths" how about making Moon Atomizer X or something raise without a penalty. Lower their max stack and make them sellable from NPCs for cheaper than Scapes. Promoting partying even more.

Not sure I'd like Hotspots, even if there are multiple of them that cycle around it just means that "these" missions are the ones you "should" be running right now, obviously most people will end up just wanting to do these for the bonuses and ignore the ones not in the current hotspot. Why limit the selection of missions at any time like this?
Vashyron

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding