English PS2 character voice clips

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

English PS2 character voice clips

Postby ZER0 DX » Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:25 am

http://www.mediafire.com/?ew72i4qrgi8obcr

Ripped these from my PS2 copy, luckily they weren't drowned out by static like the NPC voices were.
Also for some reason the voice clips only had the highest pitch possible, I'm assuming Sega had some roundabout way of having the pitch be determined by the game client by doing this but whatever.

Anyway, I have no idea how to put these into their respective .nbl file so hopefully someone is smart enough to figure that out, this was the extent of what I could do currently.

NBL files related to this should be:
xa_SoundCharaMakeMarData.nbl
xa_SoundCharaMakeMarlData.nbl
xa_SoundCharaMakeCastData.nbl
xa_SoundCharaMakeCasealData.nbl

which can be found in the b787754faa6817fc3b980e751e0907f2 file.

I have no idea how to open .nbls or what type of files the voice clips are inside of them though, so hopefully .wav will do. If not, whoever wants to mess with this can convert the clips to the proper format to be inserted into the .nbls and then have them work in the PC version of PSU.

I didn't bother to separate the voice clips into different folders for each one but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out when the clips change to the female and cast variants, assuming you can stand to sift through a ton of chipmunk voices.
ZER0 DX

Re: English PS2 character voice clips

Postby Agrajag » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:33 pm

Truckers... err... TrekkiesUnite118 was working on this very thing, actually. The .dat files in those .nbl files are basically compiled sets of wav files with a bit of metadata attached.

He put together this: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12097713/PSU%20 ... Voices.zip

Use AFS explorer to import them into that file, DO NOT let it rebuild the file (if you're playing on JP anyway; that's a ticket to "Game files have been modified." for sure).

If you're interested in the .dat file format, I can post it. There's a bunch of unknown stuff, but I know enough for replacing clips in it. (Fortunately the NBL files they're in are uncompressed/unencrypted, so you can just edit them in a hex editor or whatever, as long as you fix the filesize in the nmll header).
Agrajag

Postby Rikku » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:18 am

Would it be possible to use JP voices and English voices at the same time?
Rikku

Postby Agrajag » Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:33 am

Being that there's a fixed number of voices... no. You can use all JP voices, all EN voices, or some mixture of the two (e.g JP voices 1-8, EN 9-15), but you cannot have both full sets at once.
Agrajag

Postby mattwo » Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:40 pm

So I'm confused:

1. This is to put in PSU?

2. It's just to enhance gameplay experience?

3. PS2 had voice acting?!
mattwo

Postby TrekkiesUnite118 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:35 pm

I actually did put together a C++ program that would make the header and table of contents portion of the nbl file for it. Though the quality of the PS2 voices is significantly lower than that of the PC version voices.

The PC voices are 16-bit PCM format if I remember correctly, where as the PS2 ones are 4-bit ADPCM. They really sound muffled by comparison. If there is interest in this I might look into finishing it.

And you need to edit more than those 4 files. Those files are only used in the Character creation screen. For in game voices you need to edit the individual voice files. Theres over 100 files in total if I remember correctly.
TrekkiesUnite118

Return to PSU Modding