AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Postby Violent Vodka » Fri Apr 01, 2016 6:28 pm

So, I've been playing around with the mods you've provided Agrajag and I've found a lot of fun stuff that I wouldn't have been able to find without you. I really do appreciate the stuff you've done thus far. Quick question, could you tell me whereabout the class stats would be in that file? I've found the default race stats, but I haven't quite found where the class data is.. I'd definitely appreciate your help!

Second post:
Scratch that, I finally found it. x)

EDIT BY AGRAJAG: Consolidated posts.
Violent Vodka

Postby eitherflame » Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:43 pm

Agrajag wrote:Alright, so, going to level for a bit.

Clementine's been making good progress, and surprisingly quickly at that.

I have not.

Every day that passes, the niche for this project shrinks a bit.

On one hand, this is a bit disheartening. At some point, there'll be no point in continuing--why would you play a silly offline thing when you can get all the same content and play with your friends?

On the other, Clementine tends to be fairly conservative with deviations from the original mechanics. Absolute worst case, this finally gets finished, I release it, everyone hates everything (I'd be lying if I said this possibility never crossed my mind), there's your vanilla game, still available.

With that in mind, tried an experiment:
As you may be able to tell, results are... mixed. And by "mixed", I mean "you can see one bug in the screenshot, but everything you can't see is also broken".

Wait so your private server is still in the works?
eitherflame

Postby Agrajag » Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:00 am

This is a project to bring all the online data to the offline mode (with tweaks), it does not feature a server component for now, at least.

That said, I know I've been a bit less than spectacular as far as keeping everyone in the loop, but trust me, if I canceled this project, I'd let everyone know.
Agrajag

Postby scriptkiddie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:41 pm

would the psp2 files help... im bored :)
not promising anything
scriptkiddie

Postby Chikinface » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:06 pm

Hey scriptkiddie, good to see you again!

Agra can't post from work, but I passed the message along. Seems like a resounding "yes".
Chikinface

Postby scriptkiddie » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:54 pm

Ill have a go at converting the mips asm then.
i know where the functions i need to rip are... its just bad enough debugging & converting x86 asm
scriptkiddie

Postby Agrajag » Wed Apr 06, 2016 2:11 am

scriptkiddie you're back we missed you

That is to say, there are two main things on that front. The NBL-new-format (as essen called them) files are the obvious one (if you can figure that out, we can maybe port missions directly--a couple of them certainly looked like the same format as the PSU ones!... of course, some sort of solution to the "PSP2 has monsters not in PSU" problem would still need to be found), but there are also .pac files that seemed to be used in the same situations that afs files were used in PSU and PSP1, except that where afs files are utterly trivial containers, pacs are some sort of monstrosity. Anything you can do would be appreciated!

also port olga flow to PSU for me while you're at it

not really, that seems impractical

stupid PSU with its hardcoded boss behaviors
Agrajag

Postby Agrajag » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:34 am

Alright, gonna try to be a bit more consistent on posting at least something here. Can't promise it'll be anything hugely relevant, or even comprehensible (there are a lot of things where the big picture makes sense, but if you isolate a piece, you have something that "takes the number 3 and moves it from one place to another").

So... weapon stats!

More specifically, "which" stats a weapon uses. This is a thing that's split into 3 pieces, which is... 2 more than I would strictly speaking like for it to be.
1. Inside the weapon stat file (e.g itemWeaponParam_20SGHGun.xnr, which contains all the handgun stats), there is a value that determines which stat names to use on the display. Set it to one value, you get an ATP/ATA/PP weapon with an ATP requirement; set it to another, you get a weapon that has TP and PP with a TP requirement. This affects only the displayed names, not the actual numbers shown, definitely not the ones actually used; set handguns to use the tech weapon one, it'll still display your ATA value as "TP req.".
2. Hardcoded in the .exe, there is a subroutine that determines which set of stats to actually display. Swap ranged weapons to using the tech weapon subroutine, they'll display your TP stat for the total Att. value.
3. Hardcoded in the .exe (see the pattern?), there is a subroutine that actually determines which stat to use for damage.
BONUS: Hardcoded in the .exe, there is a subroutine that makes it so that if RCSMs (item 011Bxxxx) are set to use one of the ranged weapon stat panels, "Att." will be replaced with "Tech.", and the TP stat will be displayed instead of ATP.

I've obviously seen the first one; last night, I stumbled into the second one (I was looking for how to set how many pages of description an item has--I'd kind of like to combine unit types, so one unit could add or remove ATP, TP, and DFP simultaneously... but that would require some way to display it). The third's not too hard to find (I already tracked down one of them), and the fourth I don't know about (I've seen its effects, I have not tracked it down; odds are it's just another "is the second byte of the item ID 0x1B?").

In other words, completely coincidentally, I'm now one step (out of an irritatingly large number) closer to getting bows and cards to be TP based. On the other hand, it's not that many more steps to getting weapons to use arbitrary stats--I mean, what if certain swords required TP to equip? Drifting even further away from the base game, what if some of them did TP-based damage?

These thoughts are still in their early stages. We'll see how reasonable (and practical) they seem in the long run.
Agrajag

Postby scriptkiddie » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:27 am

Not a new format really, just new comp routine
Only 1st nbl in the pack files seems to be padded differently (might just have been cuz it had 1 tiny file?)
Pack header encryption = basic. (no idea what the shit means though besides the dont crc the header val
havent reaaly focused on it yet, decomp is more important
scriptkiddie

Postby Agrajag » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:06 am

Ignore the window border, I somehow managed to... break the printscreen key...

Scratch visual effect units off the "only one can be allowed at a time" list. I'm actually kinda surprised the game lets you do that without freaking out...

(Those are the effects from Ghost Ring (PSU)/Heavenly Ring (PSP2), Infinite Guardian (PSU)/Yellowboze Wing (PSP2i), Celebrity Aura (PSP2), and Fighting Lord (PSU)/Boost Aura III (PSP2i), for reference.)
Agrajag

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding