AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Postby shade » Sun May 10, 2015 10:25 pm

Very nice - to not say exciting - roadmap.

I also forgot that PSPo1 Story Mish' were planned. Same for the Ep.1. About that, I don't remember if it was discussed, but it'd be cool to play to the Ep.I with an Ethan "synchronised" to our save/character, and our overall progression (in fact, I think that's what you plan ; I'm throwing this suggestion just in case you didn't think to that). Just like it'd be cool to be able to play to the entire PSU story arc through only one game (I know the PSPo2 and 2i story missions will be missing, but I don't think it would be a big loss, in the sense that they really aren't necessary, the original PSU story is sufficient unto itself).

I'm also surprised by the stages order, especially the grinding reworks. Like you explained, everything related to the game system is linked, so it's logical to see it implemented asap. But it also seems to represent so much work that I couldn't see it implemented so early. I though it'd delay every game mechanics rework. In my mind, it'd be weird to get the grinding rework before the event mission... But I'm happy with that.

Ah ! And I'll pm you about the tedious task.
shade

Postby Agrajag » Mon May 11, 2015 3:33 am

I can't promise much in regards to episode 1 or PSP1. It may end up just being the actual gameplay areas with all the story excised, fair warning--episode 1 relies very heavily on Ethan and cutscenes that got removed (and flags that I can't fit into the game any more--there's a finite limit, and that limit is "all of episode 1 and nothing else", so while you can fit episodes 2 and 3 in that space, trying to add episode 1 back in afterward is... troublesome).

Of course, episode 1 in particular still had a ton of stuff that never showed up anywhere else, so it should be a nice diversion anyway.

The grind rework was actually not all that much effort (like... it was a couple days of engineering so far; it's about 75% done). Helps that most of the related was in one place (and one I'd mapped out previously), rather than scattered everywhere.

EDIT: Note that the grind rework was also about a week or two of bouncing ideas off the wall beforehand (I do this occasionally, sometimes it even ends up being used), it didn't just materialize fully-formed from the void.
Agrajag

Postby DS_Nadine » Fri May 15, 2015 8:23 am

Since the links in the first post are broken, uhm... where in this about 100 pages can I find a working link for this mod?

- Btw. if I could finally finish EP3 with that, I totally love you! :-D
DS_Nadine

Postby Agrajag » Sun May 17, 2015 2:12 am

Fixed most of the download links.

If anyone has a copy of the .exe that came with mission pack 2 (_suIlluminus_anims_bosswarps.exe), let me know. You can't complete missions in the pack without it, as the boss teleporters won't appear... I'd prefer not to have to recreate it, but I can if nobody has it any more.
Agrajag

Postby KanameChidori » Sun May 17, 2015 3:05 am

Here you go. I happened to have it on my old HDD (Hotswap has its usefulness)

http://www.mediafire.com/download/y2zjw ... s+Warp.zip
Last edited by KanameChidori on Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
KanameChidori

Postby Agrajag » Sun May 17, 2015 7:10 pm

Sweet, thanks. All the links should be fixed now.
Agrajag

Postby TheReaverRaziel » Thu May 21, 2015 2:34 am

Did the Item code file get fixed? I know how to add items, but need the IDs to do so
TheReaverRaziel

Postby Agrajag » Mon May 25, 2015 7:24 pm

It should be now. If not, let me know (preferably with where it was linked from).
Agrajag

Postby Valduran » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:33 am

Is compiling the item stats still a major issue that needs to be dealt with atm?

I'd offer to help in a heartbeat since that's the sort of thing that I actually enjoy doing in my spare time (hence my love of Bethesda's mod tools), but I totally get you being reluctant to accept help from any random person that wanders by. Still... speak up if by any chance you decide to consider any amount of more public collaboration. It's a shame for me to see progress potentially getting bogged down by stuff that I would personally consider to be one of the most fun aspects of modding.

...Out of curiousity, since you mentioned the differences between PSU and PSP2 item balancing... what sort of gear progression curve are you aiming for overall? (Asking as someone who has no idea what the original PSU was like, that is)
In PSP2i I feel like there is a really solid and well fleshed out selection of mid level weapons that SHOULD be fun to explore, but it all feels kinda wasted since you either blow past their level of usefulness too quickly or easily obtain something better without ever having to go out of your way to pick them up. Are you aiming to hopefully spread the gear out into the places where it can see the most use and intentional acquisition rather than leaving half of the content allocated to levels that the player spends a fraction of their total playtime at? (Essentially, weighting gear distribution more towards higher ranked missions and leaving lower ranked missions with just enough to smoothly provide upgrades at the same pace that the player is leveling up)

And this is the wrong thread--but for the sake of posting efficiency I'll leave it here: Since I've been playing PSO2 more these days in a (somewhat futile) effort to scratch the Phantasy Star itch, I figured I'd take the time to offer my appreciation for your work on the English patch. I'm hoping to get my Japanese to the point where I don't need to rely on it anymore, but I still think it's bloody amazing that you've kept things going so consistently and with such prompt updates. I almost forget I'm playing a Japanese game on a Japanese server sometimes (which is actually kinda bad since it makes me even more lazy with my Japanese studies lol). So yeah, you're the hero of many many western PS fans, even if they don't know it. Great work mate. :D
Valduran

Postby Agrajag » Tue Jun 30, 2015 3:55 am

Valduran wrote:(stat stuff)

Stats are progressing a bit right now, KanameChidori's helping out (I've got it down to a set of rules, just... filling in 800+ weapons with "it looks like it should be high power but low PP, so let's make it that way" is both too subjective to automate and horribly tedious).

I'd love to say progression will be balanced out, but I suspect the lower ranks will still be surpassed really quickly. The leveling curve is pretty quick, and unlike PSP2/i, weapon requirements are based on stats rather than levels, which puts them into "affected by racial stats" territory (which puts them into "the Newman TP cap is almost double the next highest race's TP cap" problem--definitely going to have to moderate stuff, probably bring everyone's stats to about halfway between where they are and the current total average for each stat). Still trying to sort out how to balance rank grinders out (which will effectively upgrade a weapon to the next rank up--a 5* will become, give or take, equivalent to an 8*), too easy and there's no reason to look for new gear (just upgrade your old stuff!), too difficult and they're a gimmick more than anything else.

That said... A few weapon categories have roughly a bajillion kubaras in them (sabers have 75...), while some others have less than 20. Kind of aiming for a bell curve, very few 15*s (like... less than three, not counting manufacturer ones), not too many C-ranks, probably the bulk of them in between 8 and 13*. If a weapon category is one of the ones that can't span the full range, it'll be focused on the higher ranks.

Basically, if you're curious what the process looks like, I have a nice sheet you can look at and mess with! It's here; it's a copy (and not the original, which is safely hidden right now) of the knuckle sheet. The blue-backed columns on the Kubara sheet are the things to change (so rank, then multipliers for all the stats), and that'll create the stats based on various types of magic in the baseline sheet. Nothing's getting into the actual game without being verified by myself or one of a small group of trusted people, anyway, so if you're interested in contributing, let me know and I can tell you the rules as I see them.

Valduran wrote:And this is the wrong thread--but for the sake of posting efficiency I'll leave it here: Since I've been playing PSO2 more these days in a (somewhat futile) effort to scratch the Phantasy Star itch, I figured I'd take the time to offer my appreciation for your work on the English patch. I'm hoping to get my Japanese to the point where I don't need to rely on it anymore, but I still think it's bloody amazing that you've kept things going so consistently and with such prompt updates. I almost forget I'm playing a Japanese game on a Japanese server sometimes (which is actually kinda bad since it makes me even more lazy with my Japanese studies lol). So yeah, you're the hero of many many western PS fans, even if they don't know it. Great work mate. :D

Thanks! Do note, though, EspioKaos does a lot of the heavy lifting on the main patch right now. It wouldn't be anywhere near what it is without him, even if we are losing a bit of ground at the moment.
Agrajag

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding