AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Postby Mewn » Wed Jun 13, 2012 9:47 am

The Magatatara blades are based off the shichishito (seven-branched sword), that's one of the National Treasures of Japan. For that reason I'm strongly opposed to any translation that makes the name non-Japanese.
Mewn

Postby Qwerty » Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Oh right, forgot about that thing.

Well, nevermind then. I guess it can't be helped.
Qwerty

Postby Agrajag » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:19 am

The main distinction I'm trying to make is between the weapons that are Japanese because they're legitimately based in Japanese culture, and those that are Japanese because the people playing speak Japanese. For instance:
Japanese cultural: Harisen Battle Fan, Sange, Yasha, Kamui, Demonic Muramasa, Demonic Shura, Muktengek(i).
Audience language: Ank Zag(i)za, Gur Hanab(i), Poron, Poron Poron.

The ones that are clearly specifically referencing Japanese can stay, much as the German, Latin, and Russian ones can. The ones that only seem to be named based on the language because the audience speaks it (Ank Zagza is a culturally-neutral weapon that is named after an adjective) are the ones that should probably be localized.

Japanese cultural ones can remain in Japanese, or be switched to English in extraordinary circumstances (primarily for weapons that were translated in previous versions). I'm not going to take an obviously-Japan-based weapon and give it a Latin name.

There's no way I'm going to use "T. Magat." anything, because it's just that ugly. If you can find something appropriate (seasons, directions, ???) that doesn't require me to abbreviate multiple words in one name (one of them a foreign nonsense word, unless a "magatatara" is a real thing) I'm all ears.
Agrajag

Postby Macman » Thu Jun 14, 2012 7:27 am

Does this mean a lot of Yohmei weapons/PAs are going to be a lot less confusing to remember?
Macman

Postby Agrajag » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:51 am

Yohmei's pretty solidly in the "intentionally Japanese" category, just looking at the aesthetics of the planet in general (and the particular names they chose). Awkward though they may be, I don't intend to change them, with the possible exception of some of the PSZ weapons that randomly got shuffled into Yohmei.

I'll be fixing certain inconsistencies (Lidra vs Ridol-senba), but that's about it.
Agrajag

Postby Qwerty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:55 pm

We're going with Lidra, I'd hope.
Qwerty

Postby Mewn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:19 pm

The name is derived from Riddle, so Ridla and Ridla-senba would be my choices.
Mewn

Postby Qwerty » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:04 pm

In that case, yes, definitely Ridla.

(Ridol is also ok in light of that.)
Qwerty

Postby Mewn » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:50 pm

I'd prefer it to end in la/ra, to match Cometara and Majimra. Only problem is that Ridra doesn't really roll off the tongue that well, so I'm prepared to sacrifice perfect consistency for a slightly better-sounding name.

Ridolra would also work (and might be the best match for the Japanese リドルラ ridorura anyway). Note that the line shield is リドルセンバ ridorusenba, so I guess Ridolra/Ridol-senba?
Mewn

Postby Qwerty » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:47 am

Works for me!
Qwerty

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding