AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Postby Agrajag » Mon Aug 27, 2018 1:29 am

May have spent the past couple months... err... sulking? Dunno, just didn't accomplish much in this or in real life. Finally got back into doing things a couple weeks ago.

Necman wrote:Very interesting stuff about the lighting. I read it many times but I only came up with it being a bust. Is this so? I was just wondering if there were any other side projects of interest as well!

As far as lights go, there are basically four(ish) types. PSU uses two of them, but it includes some code to make the other two types work... but you can't place them without major exe changes, so it's not amazingly useful.

Most recent couple of things:
1. stuff with vehicles. This ties to two things:
a. Before I made Distant Dream, I'd thought about doing a Sonic-themed airboarding mission as a way to demonstrate the model importing. It never got off the ground (ha ha) because I couldn't figure out how to enable vehicles in a mission, but I have now, and it turned out that it would be terrible because airboards are terrible. Whoops? I did manage to find out (approximately) how the vehicle physics can be altered, though, so maybe someday...!
b. I hate transport PAs. I consider "mash the attack button to move faster" to be questionable design at best (especially since you're stuck reserving one of your six weapon slots to a double saber or claw or dagger). So... what's the obvious solution that nobody asked for? Airboard item! Expected it to be almost impossible since it looked like they were tied to a set object (as in, part of the actual mission, like a door or a box), turns out the script call to create a vehicle doesn't actually need one, so this is actually possible, but fairly low priority.

2. Silly thought: "what if there was a third Svaltus variant?" Looked into it a bit, turns out that Orgdus was intended to be a Neudaiz version (it appears on Parum in the released game), while Lutus Jigga was intended to be a Moatoob version (this is really obvious given the name; it appears on Neudaiz in the released game, though), so the hypothetical third version would be a Parum variant. Brief attempt at hue shifting it gave me this creature. Looks fairly okay, ends up looking a lot like Lutus Jigga in awakened Relics lighting. Think I would've preferred if the body was red, but... ehh. Not much choice on the lights, anything close to blue ends up looking like a Svaltus, while anything near red or yellow ends up hard to tell apart from Orgdus or Lutus Jigga, respectively.

3. See shade's topic.

Necman wrote:I was also wondering when you started working on this project. I know you posted Despair and Hope in April 2012 and joined months before. I never played the story missions until I played offline with your mission packs. It took me till today to find out that is also the mission name for episode 3 story mission 1. I just thought an annual celebration for Despair and Hope's birthday would be nice unless it's become a pain in your backside. Either way thanks for listening or (reading) my crazy thoughts.
When it was just going to be "episode 3, but offline", it'd started a couple weeks before that (the first mission pack was a byproduct of that work).

(Ambition of the Illuminus is named after the final chapter of episode 2. An offline episode 3 would in theory be named after the last chapter of episode 3, "For Brighter Day", but that name was already taken by the soundtrack. "Despair and Hope" ended up being the most fitting chapter title.)

Shadowth117 wrote:Wow, with school and everything I guess I forgot to keep checking back on progress here, but I see you've gotten a Speed Highway port of all things done and a whole bunch of other crazy things in the works. Do you have a Github link or anything for the tools you've been working on?
Nothing's public yet, sorry. At some point I'll try to clean them up so they're not a complete embarrassment and upload the sources, just not gotten to it yet.

Shadowth117 wrote:(PSO2 model stuff)
Thanks! I haven't had the chance to look into that yet, still plan to at some point. PSP models and external models are still my main focus for the time being, although I keep looking at the PSO areas in PSU and getting frustrated because they all look horribly wrong for reasons that I can't fully articulate, so who knows what I'll actually end up doing next.
Agrajag

Postby BobFish0607 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 11:41 pm

Hello,

I am interested in episode 3 of the story. Unfortunately I do'nt really understand what I need to do to get access.

I currently download the proposed links from PSP1 and PSP2i. I put them in the data folder of the game.
I also download the pack 4 and I just copy / paste this one in my game folder.

When I get into the game (offline mode), nothing has changed and I still have no access to episode 3. :(
Can you help me on what I need to do please ?
BobFish0607

Postby Evan » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:41 am

Hey! Wanted to drop by and show my support! Hopefully everything is going well. Thanks for putting all this work into this project!
Evan

Postby Gothyx » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:22 pm

shade wrote:You meant this :
I wanted to be sure it'd be noticeable

If so, you can use one of these *.exe
- _suIlluminus_pack5_720p.exe is basically the default offline *.exe (with some improvement, like the info. over the player's head, emotes, etc...)
- _suIlluminus_pack5_1080p.exe allows you to play in 1920x1080, by choosing to play in 1280x720 in option, without the broken minimap in mission yah, I still have to found how to fix this shit ; but I don't have time to do, maybe this summer
- _suIlluminus_pack5_1080p_minimap.exe allows you to play in 1920x1080 with the broken minimap, if you really want it.
These *.exe let you play offline with the vanilla ver. of the game, but are compatible with the "Mission Pack 1~5" (that must be applied on a client with third update maps/music, basically the patched JP. ver. of the game).

It says the links aren't good x.x
Gothyx

Postby Gothyx » Sun Dec 30, 2018 8:19 am

shade wrote:Thank you very much. It's indeed awesome.

For those who are lazy, I've made a cumulative mission pack, which includes the mission pack 1-4, the mission pack 5 and the 87e19534e724ac860eb9b0421c65bae0 file from the expension.
I've also added a 1080p exe, with radar and compass disabled. They are still broken on 1080p, I haven't found how to fix these things ; mainly because I still don't have time to do so.
But I've enabled the informations displaying that you can make appear over character head (completely optional and useless ; so I had to do it), and on planets selection screen, I've replaced the pre-crash GC by the post-crash one but I haven't replaced the movie ; I don't think it worth time to search how to do that.
You can grab this pack HERE.

Also, note this missions pack also "breaks" some NPCs dialogues : it adds superfluous line breaks :
Same thing occurs in 1280x720 and/or in JP.
Don't know which files cause this. I may investigate this.

Edit :
The problem is caused by the file be700a239bd497b97ba0d2c90bd46d1a from the mission pack 5.

Also, I wanted to add that what is done with Distant Dream is incredible, and extremely promising.

The Regular Mission Pack 5 doesn't allow me to use the info overhead, only on the 1080 without the compass and map.
Gothyx

Postby Shadowth117 » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:51 am

I figured I should share this in case it's useful to you, but I hacked up the tool from before a bit to get all I could from models to 3ds Max. I'd like to make a more proper import script one of these days, but for now this should be useful. I'm actually working on an animation script as well that'll hopefully go both ways and looking a bit into getting models back to pso2 in a more complete way. Would be great to be able to port psu stuff into pso2 and pso2 stuff into psu one day, but I'd imagine that's a ways off. Either way if there's any way the tool and script as is can be of use, that'd be great.
http://www.pso-world.com/forums/showthr ... th-rigging!)
Shadowth117

Postby Agrajag » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:44 pm

That's pretty cool. I've been spending most of my time recently on the PSPo stuff, so I've not had the opportunity to look at PSO or PSO2 or even, for that matter, trying to refine importing arbitrary models into PSU.

I had been hoping to have something tangible that people could play for the PSP2i monster ports around the holiday, but it turned out to be further away from working than I'd hoped. Going down the list, the portable games have 80 new monsters. As of this exact moment, they fall into the following categories:
1. Fully functional with possible minor graphical issues. By my count, there are 33 such monsters:
Astark, Bag Degga, Bunari type-Koh3, Danoamaz, Evil Shark, Flan Blume, Flavit B1, Force Mother, Gonan, Gravit S7, Guardian Rosk, Guardian Rosta, Guil Shark, Jaggo Rizona, Kasch Tribesman, Little Wing Rosk, Little Wing Rosta, Nar Lily, Pal Shark, Poison Lily, Rappy Machina, Rappy Paral, Rappy Rizona, Sand Rappy, Sinow Beat, Sinow Gold, Stingee, Svaltia, Tavalus, Vegga, Vorgadillan, Zauzza, Zelumon
2. Crash, but easily (manually) fixable with minor losses of functionality. This is a very small category (2 monsters):
Dark Belra, Indi Belra
3. Require monster technique behaviors that don't exist in PSU. This is any enemy that fires a projectile sideways, anything with a laser, anything with a grenade, and a few miscellaneous other attacks. There are 15 of these:
Delbiter, Nano Dragon, Shizuru (x3), Nagisa (x3), Coco Melodda, Variaran, Bola Vrima, Shot Mother, Ob Lily, Mil Lily, Gol Lily.
4. Crash that's not easily fixed. Most of these use get_target_ret_dir or get_target_ret_dir2, which I think are supposed to tell the monster which direction their target is facing? Savage Wolf and Barbarous Wolf use that one in particular in order to attack from the back, but there are also monsters with breakable parts (Chaos Sorcerer, Garanz, Baranz), monsters that check if their attacks hit (Chaos Bringer), and a few others. This category has 28 monsters, split into 3 groups:
  • get_target_ret_dir/get_target_ret_dir2: Savage Wolf, Barbarous Wolf, Ill Gill, Jeris, Dago Gujeri, Zoldillan, Lu Duggo, Walmus, Mulnuha, Vulgatus, Jedein, Mog Boggo, Dakamazli, Darvaguine, Ivarlus, Blade Mother, Heaven's Mother, Rappy G'lucky
    -->This group may need an exe edit in order to work, I'm not sure there's a reasonable way to remove or replace this one without breaking them badly
  • check_attack_hit: Chaos Bringer, Brigantia, Gorongaran
    -->NOTE: this can probably be replaced by an RNG hit, or even just always assuming the result is true. I'm not sure if anyone would even notice if I hadn't told everyone, but I've not tried it yet.
  • get_tactics/set_tactics: Finjer R, Finjer G, Finjer B
    -->NOTE: these calls can probably be replaced by an RNG hit, but the monsters will lose their teamwork mechanics
  • set_target_type_indiscriminate: Nargevahl
    -->NOTE: this call can probably be removed, moving the monster into category 3 (pessimistic), but as a result, the friendly fire will be lost
  • anything to do with breakable parts: Garanz, Baranz, Chaos Sorcerer
    -->NOTE: May be able to make exe edits to make Garanz/Baranz work, but I don't see any way to make Chaos Sorcerer's crystals work properly, sorry!
5. I don't even know. These spawn, but don't do anything, and I have no idea why (2 monsters):
Vivienne, Helga

Of note, right now, sounds simply don't work. The game does something very strange to look up sound files in PSU, and PSP2i does something entirely different, so even just using existing sounds for a new monster is rather nontrivial. I have all of the monster data ripped out of the exe (and the PSP2i equivalent for that data converted over), all the monster models seem to be working okay, some monster techs are working. I have not written the exe code to actually look up the new file data, so all testing is done by manually updating the monster pointer to read the new monster (I usually use Pannon, at that).

So, as the saying goes, a picture's worth a thousand words, and a video's 30-60 pictures a second...
Flan Blume
Rappy Machina
Sand Rappy and Astark
Sinow Beat and Sinow Gold
Agrajag

Postby Max B » Sat Feb 02, 2019 4:30 am

Glad to see you working on this stuff after all these years. Keep up the great work!!
Max B

Postby Necman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:42 pm

Agrajag wrote:

So, as the saying goes, a picture's worth a thousand words, and a video's 30-60 pictures a second...
Flan Blume
Rappy Machina
Sand Rappy and Astark
Sinow Beat and Sinow Gold

I'm not so sure I buy into the picture is worth a thousand words thing but those video's were fantastic. You don't owe any apologies for (anything really) not being able to put something into psu or anything that could be glitchy. The kakwane are very twitchy and have odd animations compared to everything else and they seem to work fairly well.

Did I read that right? Sounds like a mission pack coming!
Necman

Postby Agrajag » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:08 am

There was something like that in the works, but then February and March end up never being particularly productive months for me for some reason, oops.

Plan was something generally incompatible with anything else that'd swap out a handful of monsters in the game for PSP2i ones. Sadly, "MAG, but better" generally runs into there always being one monster per area that crashes or fails to function (forest has wolves, caves gains sharks and lilies but Nano Dragon has broken projectiles, mines gains Sinow Beat/Gold but Garanz crashes, ruins gains nothing because both Chaos Bringer and Chaos Sorcerer crash), so... er... maybe something episode 4-ish, since both Sand Rappy and Astark are generally okay.

Or maybe something completely different.
Agrajag

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding