AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Topics about modding PSU. The home of the offline project.

Re: AotI Offline (Unofficial) Expansion: Despair and Hope

Postby shade » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:52 pm

Thank you very much. It's indeed awesome.

For those who are lazy, I've made a cumulative mission pack, which includes the mission pack 1-4, the mission pack 5 and the 87e19534e724ac860eb9b0421c65bae0 file from the expension.
I've also added a 1080p exe, with radar and compass disabled. They are still broken on 1080p, I haven't found how to fix these things ; mainly because I still don't have time to do so.
But I've enabled the informations displaying that you can make appear over character head (completely optional and useless ; so I had to do it), and on planets selection screen, I've replaced the pre-crash GC by the post-crash one but I haven't replaced the movie ; I don't think it worth time to search how to do that.
You can grab this pack HERE.

Also, note this missions pack also "breaks" some NPCs dialogues : it adds superfluous line breaks :
Same thing occurs in 1280x720 and/or in JP.
Don't know which files cause this. I may investigate this.

Edit :
The problem is caused by the file be700a239bd497b97ba0d2c90bd46d1a from the mission pack 5.

Also, I wanted to add that what is done with Distant Dream is incredible, and extremely promising.
shade

Postby Agrajag » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:01 am

Necman wrote:Your efforts are well appreciated and I would like to ask a question about the mission packs. Are they as much work as they sound, particularly since they have been assembled from other sources?

I haven't really done a simple "bundle up a bunch of missions" yet since pack 4 (which should've made future ones pretty easy to do, at the expense of needing like 2 weeks of setup to make that plausible), but it only took an hour or so to get Sinners' Banquet/Castle of Monsters bundled up for it. Pack 5 as a whole... err... may be in the "months" range, but it's got some pretty extenuating circumstances.

shade wrote:Also, note this missions pack also "breaks" some NPCs dialogues : it adds superfluous line breaks :

LightDark discovered that pretty much right before I uploaded it, forgot to include it in the "known issues" list. When I revisit the lobby (basically, "when I would need to add a third Hal"), I'll fix it, but otherwise, it's fairly minor.
Agrajag

Postby Necman » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:13 am

shade wrote:Thank you very much. It's indeed awesome.

For those who are lazy, I've made a cumulative mission pack, which includes the mission pack 1-4, the mission pack 5 and the 87e19534e724ac860eb9b0421c65bae0 file from the expension.
I've also added a 1080p exe, with radar and compass disabled. They are still broken on 1080p, I haven't found how to fix these things ; mainly because I still don't have time to do so.
But I've enabled the informations displaying that you can make appear over character head (completely optional and useless ; so I had to do it), and on planets selection screen, I've replaced the pre-crash GC by the post-crash one but I haven't replaced the movie ; I don't think it worth time to search how to do that.
You can grab this pack HERE.

does this crash only happen with the 1080p exe or is it a mission pack 5 issue? It does not sound like a serious problem anyway. The packs are quick and easy to install but it's good of you to help out those who are lazy or those who may not be good with this sort of thing.
Necman

Postby shade » Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:03 pm

Which crash ?

The text issue ? If so, it's not an important thing and it's caused by the be700a239bd497b97ba0d2c90bd46d1a from the mission pack 5 (I haven't tried to test an older version of this file, but I think it will be worse for other things).

And if you speak about the pre-crash and post-crash GC, what I meant is I've juste replaced, on planets selection screen this by that (ignore the language change). But I know when you left the GC, you'll see this, which corresponds to the previous state of the GC, and not to the one I've set. I've only made this change because I prefer to see the latest form of the GC on planets selection screen, it's the one I was used to see online, and it's Something that took me 2 sec to do that I've discovered by chance in past.

If you've encountered something that crash the client, please, report it.
shade

Postby Necman » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:31 am

shade wrote:Which crash ?

The text issue ? If so, it's not an important thing and it's caused by the be700a239bd497b97ba0d2c90bd46d1a from the mission pack 5 (I haven't tried to test an older version of this file, but I think it will be worse for other things).

And if you speak about the pre-crash and post-crash GC, what I meant is I've juste replaced, on planets selection screen this by that (ignore the language change). But I know when you left the GC, you'll see this, which corresponds to the previous state of the GC, and not to the one I've set. I've only made this change because I prefer to see the latest form of the GC on planets selection screen, it's the one I was used to see online, and it's Something that took me 2 sec to do that I've discovered by chance in past.

If you've encountered something that crash the client, please, report it.

Nothing to report. This Gc crash is just the colony crash I presume! I don't use 1080p with this crappy thing so was just wondering where this crash was supposed to be. Sorry about the mix up.

<Edit> I only tried distant dream which was awesome but when I tried the other two missions they only load a black screen. I also noticed fight for food was loading instead of black nest and the other two missions. Is that supposed to happen? All the other missions from pack 1-4 work great other wise. I tried a new game but as expected it did nothing.
Necman

Postby Agrajag » Mon Dec 25, 2017 5:57 am

Not sure when you edited that in. You need to use a game install that has the Third Update (as in, the official Sega one, not Mission Pack 3) contents to play the two Ohtori missions, as it was drifting kinda close to "the mission packs contain the entire third update". Fortunately for you, shade has a perfectly good download for that in his topic.

In the interest of not keeping things secret until they're perfect (which is coincidentally long enough for everyone to believe I've completely given up on everything (again)), I've started looking into another one of those "won't get me any closer to D&H release, but cool and potentially useful for everyone" things: porting PSP2i monsters into PSU. As you can see, results are... somewhat mixed. On the other hand, Sega didn't actually bother to try, so... kinda on my own here.

Sand Rappies are jerks.

EDIT: Fixed most of the issues, but still more work needed.
Agrajag

Postby Agrajag » Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:46 am

Alright, done a bit of investigation into the enemy thing (can't really spend my whole time on it because, you know, real life).

I've figured out what caused the missing digging graphic on it, I have a lead on how to assign sounds to monsters.

Essentially, in PSU, you have the following:
1. One or more NBLs containing the monster's data (animations, models, particle effects, control data, etc).
2. A list in the .exe showing which NBLs are loaded by a given monster and for which elements; it also points to a list of filenames for animations if they're present in a given NBL. So, for instance, on Lapucha, you have the following:
  • NBL 0x4D (su_en_miget_a_share.nbl), containing 58 XNM files (listed elsewhere in the .exe), always loaded.
  • NBL 0x52 (su_en_miget_a_lapu_mot1.nbl), always loaded
  • NBL 0x53 (su_en_miget_a_lapu_mot1_tn.nbl), loaded when default element.
  • NBL 0x54 (su_en_miget_a_lapu_mot1_tf.nbl), loaded when fire-contaminated.
  • NBL 0x55 (su_en_miget_a_lapu_mot1_te.nbl), loaded when ground-contaminated.
3. An exe table that defines which particles a given monster owns and a little bit of extra data that I don't fully understand (they're floating point numbers of some sort, possibly timing things--I haven't looked that far into this).
4. A section in the .exe listing which files (stored in which NBLs) define the following components of each monster:
  • Base skeleton (used to define how to apply animations).
  • Monster model file (.xnj)/bone names (.xna).
  • Texture list per element (.xnt)
  • Additional model data used for each buff type (e.g sword, shield, crown, etc) and which bone to attach them to on the model.
  • Motion table file
  • Parameter file
  • Attack data file
  • Act data file
  • Damage data file
  • Target selection file
  • Sound effect mapping(?) file
  • AI ("Tutor") file

Now, in PSP2, that got somewhat reworked:
1. The NBLs still exist (obviously).
2. The NBL load list is still in the executable. The animation list for a given NBL is stored in that NBL (in a file named "nbl_nodemot_filelist.rel"); the load list instead identifies which NBLs contain this file, rather than having a list of all of the files.
3 and 4. The particles-per-monster list and the filenames-per-monster list are combined into a zStaticData files in the monster's main NBL. The format is fairly similar to PSU's, just with all of the data stored in an NBL instead of in the .exe. Weirdly, it has a little bit more flexibility than PSU's despite that I'm not aware of the game actually using any of it (in the list above, the motion table file through the sound effect mapping have to be in the same NBL per monster in PSU, but PSP2 allows them to be separated--e.g a Go Booma could literally be a Booma, but with only a different model and AI file).

Knowing this is generally enough to add new monsters. Want Al Rappy and Pal Rappy? I could do that. Want PSO2-style "normal monster but red" rare monsters? I can do that, too. They wouldn't be terribly interesting, but they already weren't.

So... what's the problem? There are actually several.
1. This is a lot of data that would need to be stuffed in the .exe. I don't like doing that. My goal would be to stuff all of this into an NBL it loads on startup, or to rework it to load the data from elsewhere (where's not too important).
2. Certain script calls in PSP2i aren't present in PSU. If a script runs into something it doesn't recognize, the entire thing just stops. That means the enemy stops. The following script calls exist in PSP2i but not in PSU:
create_parts
break_parts
get_target_ret_dir
get_target_ret_dir2
set_attribute
check_attack_hit
get_tactics
set_tactics
set_target_type_indiscriminate
skip_target_select

create_parts and break_parts are obviously used for Chaos Sorcerer. set_target_type_indiscriminate and probably skip_target_select would be used for Nargeval (that Svaltus variant that attacks other monsters). I haven't yet determined which enemies use the other calls (also, there are numbered system calls the scripts can do, of which I've identified two that Chaos Sorcerer uses that wouldn't be in PSU, but because they're numbered, I can't really just say which ones don't exist). I can probably get a list of the guaranteed-to-be-broken ones soonish, I need to rewrite my script handling code anyway, so I'll be able to figure it out then.

We'll see what happens. 1 is the bigger issue, since adding another 50ish monsters is kind of a big deal; I would prefer something more dynamic that doesn't require updating the .exe to add new things, but on the other hand, I suspect I'll be the only one ever doing that, so as long as I understand what needs to be done, it may be okay?
Agrajag

Postby Necman » Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:29 am

Agrajag wrote:Not sure when you edited that in. You need to use a game install that has the Third Update (as in, the official Sega one, not Mission Pack 3) contents to play the two Ohtori missions, as it was drifting kinda close to "the mission packs contain the entire third update". Fortunately for you, shade has a perfectly good download for that in his topic.

In the interest of not keeping things secret until they're perfect (which is coincidentally long enough for everyone to believe I've completely given up on everything (again)), I've started looking into another one of those "won't get me any closer to D&H release, but cool and potentially useful for everyone" things: porting PSP2i monsters into PSU. As you can see, results are... somewhat mixed. On the other hand, Sega didn't actually bother to try, so... kinda on my own here.

Sand Rappies are jerks.

EDIT: Fixed most of the issues, but still more work needed.

Sorry I was not very clear on what I was saying or doing. I had to reformat my pc and could not remember what I was doing before it happened. On a side note I don't think anybody thought you given up thou it was good to hear what you were working on. I didn't even know you were working on adding new monsters. The rappies looked really good and promising.
Necman

Postby Gothyx » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:16 am

Is there a way to get name and levels over top of the player on offline?
Gothyx

Postby shade » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:07 pm

You meant this :
I wanted to be sure it'd be noticeable

If so, you can use one of these *.exe
- _suIlluminus_pack5_720p.exe is basically the default offline *.exe (with some improvement, like the info. over the player's head, emotes, etc...)
- _suIlluminus_pack5_1080p.exe allows you to play in 1920x1080, by choosing to play in 1280x720 in option, without the broken minimap in mission yah, I still have to found how to fix this shit ; but I don't have time to do, maybe this summer
- _suIlluminus_pack5_1080p_minimap.exe allows you to play in 1920x1080 with the broken minimap, if you really want it.
These *.exe let you play offline with the vanilla ver. of the game, but are compatible with the "Mission Pack 1~5" (that must be applied on a client with third update maps/music, basically the patched JP. ver. of the game).
shade

PreviousNext

Return to PSU Modding