Not signed in (Sign In)

Vanilla 1.1.10 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorNoda
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010 edited

Forcing anti-aliasing and other advanced graphics rendering options upon PSU is nothing new, but a lot of the early attempts I remember resulted in things like weird interactions with the transparency effects. It was especially prominent on the GUI elements and the weird compass thing on the character selection screen. Basically it'd manifest as black being rendered where partial transparency should normally be. The same thing can be seen when trying to play PSU on some incompatible GPUs, like early Intel GMA.

A while back, a Japanese PSU player's blog mentioned nHancer for NVidia GeForce GPUs, and had some example screenshots up that seemed to enable all the fancy stuff without the downsides. I've tried it myself, and I can say that it definitely seems to work, and very well at that. I'm able to use 8x anti-aliasing and 16x anisotropic filtering without sacrificing any frame rate. I've created an example image of different settings. Of note is that enabling anisotropic filtering in the GPU driver seems to also disable PSU's own 'pseudo AF,' where the distant floors just get blurred over.

I'll try looking up the blog I originally found the details and default settings I used, since I think they may be the key to avoiding the transparency issues, but as a warning it's all in Japanese. The same blog seemed to have a tool that Radeon users can use in conjunction with its own registry/driver settings, but I don't remember any details on that. Interestingly, I think that same tool might be able to bypass GameGuard somehow, since it has a separate option for launching with the driver hack enabled (I think it has PSU pretend to be Bioshock somehow), or launching for patching, but since I don't have any current computers using a Radeon GPU, I haven't tried it myself.

Edit: Original blog post was here: http://lavendy.net/psu/cat30/pc/

Also important: If you experience issues while playing around with this, please use common sense in what should be bug reported or not. If it's clearly something that is being caused by the server side, then chances are a driver hack is not to blame. If there's any chance at all it could be a local issue, please disable the nHancer profile and try it that way before reporting anything.

Edit 2: The post about the tool for Radeon cards: http://lavendy.net/psu/2010/06/psu_aa_radeon.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorRaujinn
    • CommentTimeJul 14th 2010

Always hated that floor-blurring shit
    Looks nice, but I'll never be able to use it on my current laptop. But that's what I get for having an integrated graphics chip... Oh well.
    • CommentAuthorCuber
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010 edited

I'm trying this.. but I'm not entirely sure how I get it working.. am I meant to open the game after the program or something? :x Cause I swear nothing is changing. I do have an nvidia card o.o

edit: Ok after making a profile (I dunno why I didn't think to do that before) I am slowly getting it I think. o.o

edit2:
    Photobucket

Got the weird black shit you mentioned it also looks darker now in game. ... least I know its doing something.. but.. um..

Oh crap closing PSU and reopening it without nHancer doesn't put it back.. D:
    Neither has deleting the profile..
    •  
      CommentAuthorNoda
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010

Try restoring the driver's original profile from the profile menu.
    • CommentAuthorAgrajag
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010

The "weird black shit" has something to do with either the compatibility mode or the transparency AA. I seem to remember having some success with it set to 2x Supersampling for transparency AA; don't remember which compatibility mode, but I see a blog post suggesting 0x40000243.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNoda
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010 edited

Agrajag:The "weird black shit" has something to do with either the compatibility mode or the transparency AA. I seem to remember having some success with it set to 2x Supersampling for transparency AA; don't remember which compatibility mode, but I see a blog post suggesting 0x40000243.

In my settings, I indeed am using 0x40000243 compatability, and either 4x or 2x Supersampling for transparency AA. I could take a screenshot of it all later if it'd be helpful to get it working for others, but I'm not sure how much it'd apply for other people's setups. Even on what I have, it starts to get a bit choppy with the resolution also set to 1920 x 1080 and all this stuff put on, so I'll probably scale back for actual gameplay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorZetsubo
    • CommentTimeJul 27th 2010

Running AMDs version of nHancer, With my personal tweaks
    Everything is beautiful, aside from me surpassing the textures...Sky really needs to get replaced, same with the foliage.
    1920x1080+MAX AMD SETTINGS+1080p Filter:
    • CommentAuthorbmobius
    • CommentTimeOct 16th 2010

Well despite by best attempts, I cannot seem to get AA or AF to work properly using nHancer.

- Running Vista x64
    - nVidia card is 9800GTS
    - Driver version is 258.96
    - nHancer version is 2.5.9
    - Using 0x40000243 AA Compatibility Mode

Trying to get 1280x720 WINDOWED mode to work. But I haven't had any luck. Anyone have any suggestions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNoda
    • CommentTimeDec 10th 2010

My apologies for the necromancy, but there's been developments on this front. NVidia apparently changed up their driver model around the 256.x version, and nHancer support has been hit and miss since. I couldn't get it to work at all with the latest drivers, myself. Fortunately, a kind soul in Japan wrote a utility that allows you to do most of these profile tweaks for GeForce cards in a more friendly format, and it even has Engrish menus.

Check it out here: http://psu.brichan.jp/blog/page/PSUOBBAATool-PSU-PSOBB-Profile-Tool-for-GeForce.aspx

And a screenshot of the 'simple' menu of the Engrish version, for lolz.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRikku
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2011

Sorry to bring up an old post , but it seems like my drivers are too advanced for nHancer.
    The application crashes everytime I launch it LOL

Is there any other way to force it to a higher resolution w/ anti aliasing , with say , nVidia Inspector?
    Or another program like it?
    •  
      CommentAuthorNoda
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011 edited

See my post just above this.
    Also, higher resolution no (requires you to patch the executable itself). Anti-aliasing, proper anisotropic filtering, and the like, yes.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGAMA
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011

i use that psobb psu app to set profiles on the game.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRikku
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2011

I was able to force AA to the max w/ nVidia Inspector , with no issues whatsoever. It looks pretty amazing , even if the window is less than half the size of my monitor :)

I think it would be nice for someone to put together an options menu , specifically for EGS.
    One that has a friendly options menu , and an option to increase resolution higher than a measly 1280 x 720 :P
    •  
      CommentAuthorNoda
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2011

Rikku:I think it would be nice for someone to put together an options menu , specifically for EGS.
    One that has a friendly options menu , and an option to increase resolution higher than a measly 1280 x 720 :P

Currently impossible without a patch to the executable itself, at least on the resolution side, which Essen didn't seem too keen on for the official run of the server, but maybe things will change if a truly stable foundation could be produced. I doubt it.
    The difficulty is that rather than taking the resolution as a string or set of numbers, it is hard coded to be passed as a single small integer, 1 - 5..maybe 0 - 5. It must correspond to one of the resolutions and aspect ratios already present in the executable (ie; 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x1024, 1280x960, 1280x720). You can't just write a new launcher (which I believe someone here already has) and make it work. The executable itself has to change.
    It would probably be, and almost certainly is, possible to add new resolutions and aspect ratios via a code cave, and have that attach itself to the PSU process. That's probably a bit far off, however. I've done some poking around myself and while changing the resolution is easy, there is more to it than that. The aspect ratio seems to be stored somewhere else, and likely some kind of UI dimensions map, which creates the current bug with the automap when using hacked 1080p.
    •  
      CommentAuthoressen

I'm fine with it without the bugs, so work on fixing them and I'll be the first to put a modified exe to the patch server for everyone's use.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNoda

I've not been doing much prodding of PSU lately due to other distractions, but I'll see about pulling out the debugger tonight or tomorrow and seeing what I can find. Many breakpoints will be had.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGAMA

yeah im not using the resolution hack cuz i use the map allot...

i guess it will be figured out eventualy i wonder why sega dosent add more resolutions to the jp client tho. would make sence...